Check assigned interfaces + question regarding iSCSI

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kkit

Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:52 am

Hi,

I am currently using StarWind in a 2-Node HA Setup and wanted to check if the interfaces have been configured correctly on StarWind's side. The Management Interface doesn't show the interface assignment, just a general overview - where do I need to look?

Problem is that during full synchronization, one node is utilizing both interfaces (each 5Gbit/s) while the other uses one at 10Gbit speed.

Also a question about iSCSI Setup: I have set up multiple interfaces for redundancy:

2x Heartbeat 1GBit
2x Sync 10GBit

I only added 1xSync from each node on both sides, should I add multiple interfaces here and which would be better, heartbeat or sync interface?

Thanks much
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:02 am

Thank you for your question. You can see in the *_HA.swdsk files the interfaces used for heartbeat (i.e., control) and synchronization (i.e., data). We do not recommend using any type of teaming for iSCSi or Synchronization.
Heartbeat is used solely for pinging, while synchronization channel is used for data transfers. Two or more synchronization links are used in the Round Robin mode.
Please make sure to have multiple NICs configured for StarWind https://www.starwindsoftware.com/system-requirements.
Finally, if you cannot select a management link, there is something with network communication on that link. Either try adding it manually or run cluster validation to see what is happening to that link.
kkit

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:16 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:Thank you for your question. You can see in the *_HA.swdsk files the interfaces used for heartbeat (i.e., control) and synchronization (i.e., data). We do not recommend using any type of teaming for iSCSi or Synchronization.
Heartbeat is used solely for pinging, while synchronization channel is used for data transfers. Two or more synchronization links are used in the Round Robin mode.
Please make sure to have multiple NICs configured for StarWind https://www.starwindsoftware.com/system-requirements.
Finally, if you cannot select a management link, there is something with network communication on that link. Either try adding it manually or run cluster validation to see what is happening to that link.
Hello yarorslav,

thanks much for your fast response.

HA_swdsk: Would you be kind enough to point me to the files location?

As for my question regarding iSCSI Initiator, your guideline shows multiple iSCSI targets added in the iSCSI inititiator while I only added two (local node and remote node).
Do you recommend that I add the remaining interfaces (so the second 10GBit Interface of each other node on both sides) for redundancy in the Initiator?

Edit: Added image

Guideline:https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... rver-2016/
Section "Provisioning StarWind HA Storage to Windows Server Hosts"

Thanks much for your support
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-17 um 06.21.35.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-17 um 06.21.35.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 3078 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:57 am

It should be in the same directory as the img. In StarWind Management Console, see the path to the files.
As for my question regarding iSCSI Initiator, your guideline shows multiple iSCSI targets added in the iSCSI inititiator while I only added two (local node and remote node).
Do you recommend that I add the remaining interfaces (so the second 10GBit Interface of each other node on both sides) for redundancy in the Initiator?
It greatly depends on the storage. For SSDs, 2x local and 2x partner connections are OK. For 2x Partner iSCSI links you can use 1x iSCSI Session per partner. Adding more links to iSCSI Initiator provides better load-balancing but it is mostly done for redundancy.
kkit

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:15 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:
It should be in the same directory as the img. In StarWind Management Console, see the path to the files.
It greatly depends on the storage. For SSDs, 2x local and 2x partner connections are OK. For 2x Partner iSCSI links you can use 1x iSCSI Session per partner. Adding more links to iSCSI Initiator provides better load-balancing but it is mostly done for redundancy.
Thanks for the clarifications, most of my issues/questions have been resolved.

One last question: After checking the config file, all interfaces (2x Heartbeat and 2x Sync) have been correctly set up in StarWind (please see attached image).
Though I still get a load distribution on Node One on both Sync Interfaces while the first sync interface (strangely not the second one) sits idle.

Do you know where else I could look? Or do you think that this behavior is normal?

Thanks again and kind regards
kkit
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 09.20.31.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-18 um 09.20.31.png (27.52 KiB) Viewed 3050 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:31 am

The load should be distributed between sync links according to Round Robin.
An additional synchronization link does not provide performance boost but just network interface redundancy.
kkit

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:29 pm

yaroslav (staff) wrote:The load should be distributed between sync links according to Round Robin.
An additional synchronization link does not provide performance boost but just network interface redundancy.
Thank you very much yaroslav, the setup is working without any issues for over a month.

Kind regards
Eren
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:35 pm

Eren,

Good news! Have a great weekend!