how to configure nfs or smb with StarWind Free NAS & SAN

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:47 am

Greetings,

Sorry for the delay!
In my test lab, it worked. Please try leaving * as the IP range to let all the clients on the management network to connect. I was able to access it from Windows file explorer.
If Windows File explorer does throw an error, please specify the error. You are also welcome to contact us at support@starwind.com use this thread and 725021 as the references.
vmware

Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:50 am

Can you give me a simple setting and access tutorial? I still can't access it here
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:11 pm

You need to navigate through SMB creation in TUI, exactly how it says in the guide. Then, you need to type the SMB share IP and name into the path area of Windows file explorer. You are also welcome to contact us at support@starwind.com use this thread and 725021 as the references.
vmware

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Configuration of SMB has been completed according to the tutorial, but cannot be opened through \\IP\smbname
Please make a simple tutorial or explanation, thank you
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:40 pm

See my pervious comments, please. Did you try typing it in Windows explorer?
I'd like to add that web navigation through the share is under development.
link855

Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:04 pm

Hello, I can confirm that on build V8 R13 (1 September 2022) SMB work correctly.
I have a couple of doubts:
- Why web interface permits only to configure virtual disks (iSCSI) and not shares (SMB / NFS)?
- Why account is so limited? 1 admin account named "user", 1 share account named "user".

It still seems an early-access product (i'm using the free version, not able to find any feature difference between free and paid versions related to these topics).

About RBAC topic, it would be great if appliance can grant access to resources (admin web console and shares) through LDAP (most of my Customers will consume internal auth leveraging ldap queries).

Thanks in advance, kind regards!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:57 am

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
- Why web interface permits only to configure virtual disks (iSCSI) and not shares (SMB / NFS)?
The WEB interface functionality for shares is TBA.
- Why account is so limited? 1 admin account named "user", 1 share account named "user".

The appliances do not grant the root user access by default. You are welcome to create more users if needed.

You are always welcome to make a feature request by contacting support@starwind.com
Please let me know if you'd like to create a feature request.
link855

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:32 pm

Thanks for your quick reply, yaroslav!
Probably i'm missing something important, for shares configuration i'm using 'Text-based User Interface (TUI)'; please can help me understanding what you mean with TBA?
Perfectly agree about do not grant access with root account, How correctly create additional users?

Thanks again!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:41 pm

You are always welcome. Web management for the file shares is going to be introduced in future builds. Thanks for your request.
This is an ubuntu VM. You can acquire super user privileges for user with sudo. You can also try https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/create-a- ... ntu-linux/.
Feel free to contact support@starwind.com if assistance is needed.