Removal of Node due to hardware retirement

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

trs_91

Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:33 am

Hello

We currently have a starwind vsan free 2 node cluster running on ESXi 6.5, we are due to retire one of the servers to be replace with a new one, i just would like to know what the procedure would be to remove the node that sits on the host that is due to be removed.

Each node has 2 devices on them, so i would need both devices removed from the node, how would i go about doing this?

Thanks in advance.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:09 am

Hi,

Welcome to StarWind Forum. are you running StarWind VSAN for vSphere or StarWind VSAN for Hyper-V in your setup?
trs_91

Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:51 pm

Hello yaroslav, thanks for your reply.

We are running Starwind vSAN for Hyper-V which is installed on 2 Windows Server 2016 VMs
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:50 am

0. Make sure to have a solid backup. Make sure to migrate everything off the local storage.
1. Make sure that HA devices are synchronized and are connected to both nodes over iSCSI.
2. Migrate the VMs from the server you are about to decommission.
3. From the node that stays active, run RemovePartnerHA.ps1 for each device.
4. Detach the DATA volume from the StarWind VM from the server that is about to get decommissioned. If you have enough space, perform storage vMotion of the StarWind VSAN VM that has only OS disk.
5. Shut down the server itself.
6. Set up the new box as described here https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... phere-6-5/. Make sure that your RAID is configured as outlined here https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... ssd-disks/.
7. Move StarWind VM from the decommissioned server to the new volume.
8. Provision a new VMDK/RDM volume for data for that VM. Present it to the VM OS.
9. From the node that stayed active, run AddHAPartner.ps1 for each device.
10. Wait for full sync to complete.
11. Connect the volumes over iSCSI to the new host (unless you added Dynamic Discovery paths earlier).

Repeat 0-11 for another server. Let me know if you have more questions.