What happens when my 30-day trial expires??

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

KellanCarson

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:55 am

I set up the 30-day trial of VSAN in an emergency situation where my team needed to get a FOM setup to troubleshoot a failing VMWare / SAN environment.
It is setup on a spare Windows 10 laptop, and we created a single iSCSI target and 100 GB LUN and attached the laptop to the iSCSI network.

I am feeling like we could've just used the freeware version in retrospect, but as I said it was an emergency and due to inexperience with the product, needed the GUI management console to work.
(Didn't have time to mess around with PS scripts or anything like that...)

So my question is: what will happen when the 30-day trial expires?

Will it automatically revert to freeware mode, or will it completely stop working?

Further, do I have the option of switching to a freeware license without breaking what I have set up?

We are concerned because if we lose access to the FOM, the customer's system will go down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by KellanCarson on Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:55 am

Greetings,

Welcome to StarWind Forum. Please be advised that Windows 10 is not a supported host OS for StarWind VSAN Service for hyper-v see more at https://www.starwindsoftware.com/system-requirements.
Once the trial version expires, StarWind iSCSI targets will be disconnected.
No, you do not have an option to switch to free version without OS redeploy. You can save StarWind.cfg though to save yourself some time for reconfiguring the setup.
Please contact us at support@starwind.com to troubleshoot Trial version.
Use 502953 and this forum thread as the reference.