vsan solution.. starwind good?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

EmeyWhatson

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 am

Hello All

I am evaluating vsan solutions for our HCI. We have three dell r630 servers. We are using esxi as hypervisor and vcentre.

For vsan, I have been testing starwind linux vsa. It was fine to set up using the GUI management console but when using the powershell scripts to do the same, it doesn't work. But I have experiencing sync issues with starwind vsan. I restarted all the three servers simultaneously and after that the starwind vsan started reporting sync issues with the error message saying that there is no valid sync channel. I was able to test the sync channel and there was connectivity between all the vsan nodes over sync channel

Going through the starwind forums, I found a comment saying that starwindX isnt supported on linux vsa yet. One of the main use case for us is to use log ingester which would require high write iops. Is using starwind vsan or any other vsan solution is the correct way of doing this?

What are you experience of using the starwind linux vsa? Is it better to stick with the windows version of starwind?

Just looking for some suggestions as to what would be good way of setting up shared storage solution for our setup?
Last edited by EmeyWhatson on Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:44 am

Hi, welcome to StarWind Forum!
Restarting 3 servers simultaneously is not recommended. See the restart procedure at https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... installed/.
StarWindX is working fine with StarWind VSAN for vSphere. What you can do is using the root user credentials while running the script and specifying the server IP address.
And, if HA devices are stuck in the mutual not synchronized state, here is a good article on how you can fix that https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... -blackout/.

Is your question related to StarWind VSAN for vSphere vs Bare-Metal StarWind VSAN deployment OR StarWind VSAN for vSphere vs StarWind VSAN for Hyper-V inside the Windows VM?
If the former is true, bare-metal deployment has a fundamental difference: bare-metal deployment has fewer virtualization layers, meaning lower performance drops due to virtualization layers. True, we are improving StarWind VSAN for vSphere to increase the performance on StarWind VSAN datastores (i.e., reducing perf drops due to virtualization). From build to build, performance grows.
If later is true, both deployment options are good and it depends on the end-user: a Linux guy would use VSA while those who feel comfortable with Windows use StarWind VSAN for Hyper-V in a Windows VM.

Let me know if there is anything I can assist you with.