Setting up VSAN (Hyperconverged 2 node ESXI) for first time

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

RiotMike

Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:29 pm

Hello

I am setting up the product for the first time. This is for a school project I have two physical ESXi 7.0 servers. The sync and iSCSI are crossover cables. No switches

I am following this document
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/resour ... r-vsphere/

I am also new to ESXI do this could be causing some of my misunderstandings.

In the beginning of the document, it states create both networks. I did this using standard switches but later deleted them and moved to a (TWO) distributed switch in the document is says DO NOT add VMkernal adapters to the SYNC network. But I use the VMKernal network to assign ip address to that network. I can see any other place to assign IP address if I dont VKkernal adapers on both iscsi and sync network.

----------------------
Configuring Networks
Configure network interfaces on each node to make sure that Synchronization and iSCSI/StarWind heartbeat interfaces are in different subnets and connected physically according to the network diagram above. All actions below should be applied to each ESXi server.

NOTE: Virtual Machine Port Group should be created for both iSCSI/ StarWind Heartbeat and the Synchronization vSwitches. VMKernel port should be created only for iSCSI traffic. Static IP addresses should be assigned to VMKernel ports.

NOTE: It is recommended to set jumbo frames to 9000 on vSwitches and VMKernel ports for iSCSI and Synchronization traffic. Additionally, vMotion can be enabled on VMKernel ports.

1. Using VMware ESXi web console, create two vSwitches: one for the iSCSI/ StarWind Heartbeat channel and the other one for the Synchronization channel.
----------------------------------
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:29 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum!
You can create 2 standard switches and VMkernel for iSCSI afterward. This is how you assign an IP address.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?
RiotMike

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:53 am

i got it working.

I assigned Kmkerial to both sync and iscsi
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:59 am

Thank you for the update. Please note that VMkernel is not needed for Sync.