Meaning of term "synchronized"?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

wallewek

Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:55 pm

I've always been confused about the meaning of the term "synchronized" as used by StarWind.

I don't understand, if a device has to be synchronized with another, how one device can be called "synchronized" while the other is not. I would have expected that they are both synchronized, or they are both not. Does this term have two meanings, or a different meaning than usual?

Could someone explain that to me please?

Thanks!

Just as a side note, sometimes I think I would like a book that explains StarWind. The StarWind people who respond to questions here seem to have a great conceptual understanding of the product, but sometimes that is a problem when they answer questions, because they assume context that is a mystery to me.
------------------------
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're not." -- Yogi Berra
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:43 am

Greetings,

Thank you for your question. Mutual "Synchronized" status implies that all devices have identical sets of data.
Asymmetric "Synchronized" status means that data on one side are considered consistent while partner/partners are not and need to undergo synchronization with the device/devices with "Synchronized" status.
This can happen, say, after a restart of one server when fast synchronization is triggered. StarWind Service on the "primary", i.e. Synchronized site, can logs connection interruption with the primary site and resumes sync integrity once VSAN is up and running on the partner site.
In the event of a simultaneous restart, i.e., when all servers go down, full synchronization is started or does not start at all if StarWind Service on any site cannot determine which server is to be primary.

Hope I did not make things even more complicated for you.
wallewek

Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:45 pm

Thank you Yaroslav, that's extremely helpful!

I think the user interface of StarWind is unclear on these points, so this clears things up a lot.
------------------------
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're not." -- Yogi Berra
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:17 pm

Hey,

Always here to help. Do not hesitate to contact us if any assistance is required.