How to uninstall? (Starwind/BSOD problem)

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

nwebb

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:12 pm

Hi,

last week I installed Alcohol 120 with Starwind (on XP [Media Center Edition]) but since then I've been experiencing Blue-screens.

The Windows error log is reporting errors with the Starwind service just before each crash occurs.

I've uninstalled Alcohol, but I can't see how to uninstall Starwind. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Neil
Val (staff)

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:27 pm

nwebb wrote:Hi,

last week I installed Alcohol 120 with Starwind (on XP [Media Center Edition]) but since then I've been experiencing Blue-screens.

The Windows error log is reporting errors with the Starwind service just before each crash occurs.

I've uninstalled Alcohol, but I can't see how to uninstall Starwind. Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Neil
Hi Neil,

Starwind is purely an usermode application, so it's very unlikely the BSODs occure because of it.
There may be some third-party driver in your environment that misbehaves completing SPTI requests used by StarWind to recognize CD/DVD burners in the system.

The StarWind module should be uninstalled during uninstalling of the main Alcohol.
You can manually uninstall StarWind if you need:
1) Start the Command prompt and change dir to the location where StarWindService.exe is.
2) StarWindService.exe --stop
3) StarWindService.exe --uninstall

I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Valeriy
nwebb

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Thanks Valerie :)
Val (staff)

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:47 am

nwebb wrote:Thanks Valerie :)
Glad to help you. :)
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:24 pm

Well... Actually we'd be more happy to help you to make your system work with StarWind instead of helping you to remove our code from your machine :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software