Random device "Not licenced"

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

animeai

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:19 pm

I've set up VSan free in a home environment to serve iSCSI drives over my local home network. I need to use iSCSI rather than SAMBA or NFS s I am running a software called "DrivePool" on my main PC and it only allows physical or iSCSI drives to be pooled together. I need to use a second PC as I do not have the IO capacity or chassis space in my main box.

Everything worked initially but following a reboot of the second PC (hosting VSan Free) a random iSCSI device fails each time with the fault "Not Licenced"

Having scoured the knowledgebase and things such as "Free Vs Paid comparisons" I can find no indication of why six iSCSI shares work perfectly and a random one on each boot does not. I would prefer to export single drives as they will work much better with DrivePool (only a single drive spins up when data is accessed, less heat, less noise, less wear and tear on some rather old drives).

I am also planning to add a new LSI SAS adapter inside the second PC to add a further 5 old hard drives (and replace the horrible, slow generic Chinese SATA controller card) which would make a total of 12 iSCSI shares to be exported. I am also likely to get two second hand 10Gbit network cards to improve the shared drive speeds. Redundancy is not an issue as I use SnapRAID on the main PC and it includes the iSCSI shares in its parity calculations, currently I have redundancy to allow for up to 2 drives to fail. Obviously this is not great with a random iSCSI drive failed on each boot! These two PCs (host and targets) are the only drives using iSCSI on my network, the main PC then shares the pooled drives via Samba for rest of the network.

Is there a hidden limit I'm unaware of?

I also saw in the documentation that I can export a raw drive rather than use an image file on a drive using the Disk Bridge module, but I am struggling to find documentation or powershell scripts that would have allowed me to set this up instead. Any suggestions here are also more than welcome!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:38 pm

Greetings,

Could you try restarting StarWindService once again? Also could you navigate to the folder where the IMG file is located and check if everything is alright with the .swdsk file? There should be a 4KB .swdsk file there and an .img file.
Also, I'd like to have the logs from you. Please use this tool to collect the logs https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... collector/, you can transfer them with google drive or OneDrive.
animeai

Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:06 pm

Here are the logs: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kbjt8t ... 9YK_v/view

Strangely, a manual restart of the Starwind VSan service actually seems to have cleared the error. After a full system reboot, all 7 drives are still being shared via iSCSI.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:20 am

Great to know that the issue was rectified on its own.
Looks like a swdsk file was taken by something. In your logs, they look good to me. Config file looks healthy too.
Please keep an eye on the system and let me know if the issue returns.

Cheers,