What happens when my 30-day trial expires?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

dklein73

Wed May 27, 2020 1:25 pm

I set up the 30-day trial of VSAN in an emergency situation where my team needed to get a FOM setup to troubleshoot a failing VMWare / SAN environment.
It is setup on a spare Windows 10 laptop, and we created a single iSCSI target and 100 GB LUN and attached the laptop to the iSCSI network.

I am feeling like we could've just used the freeware version in retrospect, but as I said it was an emergency and due to inexperience with the product, needed the GUI management console to work.
(Didn't have time to mess around with PS scripts or anything like that...)

So my question is: what will happen when the 30-day trial expires?

Will it automatically revert to freeware mode, or will it completely stop working?

Further, do I have the option of switching to a freeware license without breaking what I have set up?

We are concerned because if we lose access to the FOM, the customer's system will go down.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Wed May 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi dklein73,
what will happen when the 30-day trial expires?
StarWind HA devices and IMG files will become inaccessible. This means that whatever uses the target will be unable to access it anymore until the commercial key is entered.
You can just reconfigure everything from scratch using the free version. Normally, you just configure the setup right once and it works.
do I have the option of switching to a freeware license without breaking what I have set up?
No, only the commercial key will save the day.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You can just go with the free version. We have some samples of scripts that are fairly easy to fit for your needs. Here is the old guide on how to create HA device with that script https://www.starwindsoftware.com/help/H ... ategy.html. Might be helpful.
If you still need GUI and support, consider using the commercial license.
mikehawk

Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:34 am

Your free subscription will expire and you'll need to purchase the paid version of the software.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:34 am

This isn't always a case actually...

1) You can go with a free version w/out some functionality locked (it's up to the current restrictions, don't want to list them here as we change them from time to time).
2) You can re-apply for the free key or ask for NFR if you think you need it and eligible for NFR.
3) You can need purchase full-blown version :)
mikehawk wrote:Your free subscription will expire and you'll need to purchase the paid version of the software.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software