How to install vSAN Free on Hyper-V Server 2019?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

billyjp

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:36 am

Hello!

Maybe someone can help me out. I have 3 "real" Server. One has Windows Server 2019 Std on it. The other two Hyper-V Server 2019. I was able to install Starwind Virtual SAN Free V8 on all Machines but on the Hyper-V Server i cannot connect to the Starwind Management Console because there is no Grafic Interface on HVS. Also unter the path "C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind" there is no folder "console" where normaly the StarWindManagementConsole.exe is.

How can i open the console to configure the Software on Hyper-V Server 2019?

Thanks.
kpsjoshi

Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:12 am

Copy Starwind exe on a pen drive, plug it to your server, navigate to the file location in command prompt and simply type the exe filename, you will see the installation GUI then follow the steps.
You won't be able to install Starwind Management console, but you can install that on your windows server standard edition and add your Hyper-V machines.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:31 am

kpsjoshi,

In fact, this has already been done by billyjp

billyjp,

You would need to connect to those StarWind servers using StarWind Management Console on some Windows GUI installation, e.g. Windows Server 2019 Std that you mentioned in your initial post. Otherwise, you can install the management console on your workstation by deselecting all installation components except for the management console.