How to monitor remotely?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bertram

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Hi!

Currently I only monitor services that access starwind devices, thus implicitly the availability of starwind. But I would feel better to monitor the status of HA devices directly as well.

First I had a look at the Windows Event Manager. But you have to keep realtionships between old and new entries for each device to get the current state of a HA device - not really a suitable solution.

Then I had a look at some Powershell eamples. But again I didn't found any suitable properties to get the status of a HA device.

SNMP does not seem to be implemented...still.

So how can I get the current status of properties like sync status, lost channels, etc. of my HA devices?

Regards
bertam
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:12 pm

You can use enumDevicesTargets.ps1 example and check for the SyncStatus property of an HA device. 1 stands for "synchronized", 2 for "synchronizing", 3 for "non-synchronized".
Let me know if you need more information.
bertram

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:03 pm

Hi Boris,

I've already plyed with the example scripts. But what I'm missing are information about the number of active/inactive synch channels, status of the partner node(s) and so on.

Regards
betram
batiati

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:32 pm

Which tool do you use for monitoring?
I use PRTG and I managed to write a quite simple powershell script to return each device's status (not the link status). Not bad, because I have other sensors to monitor network connectivity, free storage space, cpu, etc...
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:08 pm

bertram,

I am not sure you can get the status of sync/heartbeat interfaces from StarWindX. You might want to monitor that using networking monitoring tools. StarWind relies on the physical networking, so that way will definitely work. batiati's approach does make sense, I believe.