Force Full Sync via Powershell after recovering node

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

jrogers6167

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:50 pm

Hello,

I've been searching the forum, and haven't found an answer that has worked. Here is my scenario:

We are using StarWind Virtual SAN Free v8, with 2 nodes on Windows 2016. The disk on node 1 was destroyed, but we had backups of swdsk files.

Here is what I did to recover node 1:
1. Stopped the StarWind service on node 1
2. Created a new volume
3. Recreated the same directories
4. Copied the swdsk files back to their original directories
5. Used the following command to create a new img file (same exact size and name as the original): New-ImageFile -server $server -path "SomePath" -fileName "SomeImg01" -size 8388608
6. Started the StarWind service.

I figured that Starwind would flag the new img file as not complete and do a full recovery from node 2, but instead it did a fast recovery. This is obviously causing issues, because the img file on node 1 is not a complete copy of the img file on node 2.

Question: I would like to force a full sync from node 2 to node 1. Is this possible, and if so, how would I accomplish this using powershell?

I did try using this command, but it comes back stating the device is already synced: $device.Synchronize([SwHaSyncType]::SW_HA_SYNC_FULL, "NODE 2 Path")

Thanks!
Boris (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Once the disk is synchronized you cannot force it to resynchronize, which kind of makes sense.
When restoring the replica, you could try using the suggestion of one of our users as put in https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/vie ... dsk#p29816