[SOLVED] Can't change default iSCSI port from 3260

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

O1982

Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:59 am

Hi Everyone,

I think I am missing something in the process to change the iscsi port from the default 3260 (we have a netapp iscsi SAN also in use on our hyper-v hosts)

I have followed the guide here: https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... ort-value/ and also searched on the forum and looked through some similar posts but the very simple and straight forward process does not work for me: when I restart the starwind service the port is changed back to 3260 (both in the gui/network interfaces and in the starwind.cfg). Trying to change the port for a NIC through the gui is not possible, it's greyed out - why is this?

I also tried stopping all of the starwind services and I checked that the iSCSI port change was saved in the starwind.cfg file before re-starting the services. Port goes back to 3260. As I have a separate NIC dedicated to Starwind i think the change of port is only needed for the loopback IP 127.0.0.1 - is that correct? Or do I not need to worry about it? But it seems (on just one node, which is strange) when I try to connect to a local iSCSI target (with the target portal IP of 127.0.0.1:3260) i get a "Connection Failed" error message.

I must be missing something! Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Thanks very much - any ideas appreciated :)

Owen

Setup:
2 x Hyper-V Nodes in Win Svr 2012R2 Failover Cluster
1 (per node) dual port Intel i350 NIC for Netapp iSCSI LUNs (using default port 3260 already)

New for Starwind (per node):
1 x Samsung PCIe NVME SSD
1 x Dual Port Mellanox Connectx-4 Lx EN 25Gbit NIC
1 Port: iSCSI
1 Port: Sync+Heartbeat
Last edited by O1982 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O1982

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:27 pm

Ok - I think I was overthinking it - as there is no other type of iSCSI initiator running on the hosts then I can leave everything as is. And my issue with connecting to a local target turned out to be a misconfiguration on my part (leave initiator IP as 'Default' for a local target) :roll:

Sorry and have a nice day :wink:
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Hi Owen,
You are totally right with conclusions.
Thank you for the update :)