What happens when my NFR Lincese expires

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bkdilse

Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:27 am

Hi,

When my NFR Lincense expires, will it switch to the free version, ro will everything stop working?
Can I request an extension to the NFR License?
Boris (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:40 pm

When an NFR license expires, your servers will get non-active. This is why you need to request license renewal from your account manager.
bkdilse

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Can I request a free license or extend MFR, as this is my dev environment?
Boris (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:55 pm

You can negotiate this with your account manager.
bkdilse

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:53 pm

Account Development Rep hasn't got a clue !!! Someone needs to speak to this person, I won't mention the name, be you can get in touch (you have my email).

Trying to sell me a £2,000 product, for my lab, which is for development/training.

I have been told that the Free license is for 30 days only, which is incorrect !!!

StarWind-Virtual-SAN-FREE-vs-PAID.pdf - clearly states the Free version is unlimited, and can't be managed by the GUI, which is fine by me for Dev lab.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:47 am

It should have been some kind of misunderstanding.
According to the information I have got you were offered a temporary license to move your production to the StarWind VSAN Free based one.
bkdilse

Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks Boris, I guess so.

I have 2 licenses, 1 x NFR and 1 x Free. I will be siwtching to the Free one, as I do not need the console features. I just wanted confirmation that this will allow me to continue using the VSAN for Dev. I do not have any production requirements.
Boris (staff)
Staff

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:01 am

Once you rebuild your environment to the Free one, you should be good to go. With the latest builds, you will have the management console in monitoring mode (read-only, no actions can be made) and all management activities would be carried out via PowerShell.
bkdilse

Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:44 am

Boris (staff) wrote:Once you rebuild your environment to the Free one, you should be good to go. With the latest builds, you will have the management console in monitoring mode (read-only, no actions can be made) and all management activities would be carried out via PowerShell.
So, I tried changing the license from NFR to the Free one, via the License option in the Console, and it looks like it worked, as everything became read only. Is this the correct way to do this ?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am

Yes.

Alternatively you can contact either me or anybody from StarWind staff in assistance to prolong your NFR license. Whatever you like!
bkdilse wrote:
Boris (staff) wrote:Once you rebuild your environment to the Free one, you should be good to go. With the latest builds, you will have the management console in monitoring mode (read-only, no actions can be made) and all management activities would be carried out via PowerShell.
So, I tried changing the license from NFR to the Free one, via the License option in the Console, and it looks like it worked, as everything became read only. Is this the correct way to do this ?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software