LSWBC availability status?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

microfoundry

Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:36 pm

Greetings - I see mention of LSWBC last Nov 2018. I see the option in the 12767 release, although it's grey-out. Is there a way to enable this experimental feature or is it available in a beta build?

TIA,
Terry
Best Regards,

Terry G Phillips
Michael (staff)
Staff

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 pm

This feature should be enabled in the StarWind VSAN license which is applied to the system. You would need to get a new license key where it is enabled.
MIT

Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:11 pm

Howdy,

could you provide an update/roadmap regarding this feature?

I was Soo...is it still on its way?
If yes, roughhhhh estimate?
If not, what made you change your mind? I really dig the open techy "here's what's up" style I see everywhere - the silence around this feature in the forum doesn't fit :?: :?

Best regards
Oliver
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:08 pm

LSWBC is still an experimental feature and is likely to be deprecated together with LSFS.
LSFS was designed to boost slow spindle drives. As storage is becoming more and more powerful, the number of users who take advantage of this feature decreases. To add here, just my observation says that the number of all-flash deployments has increased in the past couple of years (do not take the recent shortage into account, please).
The build that helps users to avoid full syncs after outages should be available soon (rough ETA is in 2-3 builds). Check StarWind Release notes. Stay tuned!
MIT

Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:38 am

yaroslav (staff) wrote:LSWBC is still an experimental feature and is likely to be deprecated together with LSFS.
LSFS was designed to boost slow spindle drives. As storage is becoming more and more powerful, the number of users who take advantage of this feature decreases.
Ok. Yes spindles should vanish completely (from servers closer to the "front") within very few years if not sooner.
yaroslav (staff) wrote:To add here, just my observation says that the number of all-flash deployments has increased in the past couple of years (do not take the recent shortage into account, please).
I hope no one had to fall back to HDD because SSDs weren't in stock for them :shock: :lol:
yaroslav (staff) wrote:The build that helps users to avoid full syncs after outages should be available soon (rough ETA is in 2-3 builds). Check StarWind Release notes. Stay tuned!
Ah, cool!
That would have been my main interest in this :wink:

Thanks for the update!
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:54 pm

You are always welcome :)
Do not hesitate to contact us here if more assistance is needed.