License type modification

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

serhiogo

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:32 am

Hello collegues!

Do I need to reinstall the Starwind VSAN software when I want to change the license type
- from Evaluation to Free
- from Free to Commercial
?
I've got two license files, one is an Evaluation and another one is Free. And I change it from one to another and back without any reinstalls via GUI, although my pre-sale informed me that I'll have to fully reinstall the software while "from Evaluation to Free" license changing. What's true?

And another one question. Have I loose ANY GUI functionality when I change the license type from Evaluation to Free or I'll loose only modification functionality while the status observation functions will stay accessible? Now I observe a second behaviour.

P.S. I've got Starwind VSAN v8.0.0 Build 12585

-------------------
WBR, Serhio Go
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:44 pm

serhiogo,

For build 12585:
- after Evaluation expires, you are left with StarWind VSAN Free;
- upgrading Free to Commercial is possible.

Our Presale engineers must have discussed with you the latest build, which is 12658. For that build and all future ones the situation is as follows:
- after Evaluation expires, you will need to completely reinstall and reconfigure your environment to get the Free version to work (GUI is read-only, all configuration steps are done via PowerShell);
- upgrading Free to Commercial is possible.

For 12585, you will lose GUI after 30 days when using Evaluation -> Free.
For 12658, you will lose the whole configuration (needs to be rebuilt) when switching from Evaluation to Free.
serhiogo

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:46 pm

Boris,
Boris (staff) wrote:serhiogo,
For build 12585:
- after Evaluation expires, you are left with StarWind VSAN Free;
Without a separate Free Lic Key and any service interruption?
There was a much differ on Build 12383 - the VSAN totally stopped after Evaluation was expired (GUI stayed functional but only for fact constatation).
Our Presale engineers must have discussed with you the latest build, which is 12658.
We started to contact from Build 12383, even not from 12585 :)
I don't plan to wait for evaluation expiration (will come at Dec 31). As I wrote above, I simply modified a registering info by loading a Free Lic Key and now I have a Free Edition of 12585 without service interruption and with a read-only GUI. From now I'm planning to use my current VSAN config in production environment till we buying a fully functional commercial edition (it's not as quickly as wanted) and therefore I don't want to re-assemble the VSAN more. Can I assume that my current VSAN state is "freezed" or I have to wait for some timebombs after... hmm... after what exactly :) ?
For 12658, you will lose the whole configuration (needs to be rebuilt) when switching from Evaluation to Free.
Thank you, I'll note it.

-------------------
WBR, Serhio Go
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:26 am

You are welcome!
serhiogo

Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:38 am

Oleg(staff) wrote:You are welcome!
:)
But how about the rest questions? :lol:

I don't plan to wait for evaluation expiration (will come at Dec 31). As I wrote above, I simply modified a registering info by loading a Free Lic Key and now I have a Free Edition of 12585 without service interruption and with a read-only GUI. From now I'm planning to use my current VSAN config in production environment till we buying a fully functional commercial edition (it's not as quickly as wanted) and therefore I don't want to re-assemble the VSAN more. Can I assume that my current VSAN state is "freezed" or I have to wait for some timebombs after... hmm... after what exactly :) ?
In other words, can I hope on uninterrupable service in the future with my current state?

-------------------
WBR, Serhio Go
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Sorry :)
If you have already applied the free licence, there should not be any "timebombs".
serhiogo

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:00 am

Oleg(staff) wrote:Sorry :)
If you have already applied the free licence, there should not be any "timebombs".
Great!
Thanx!

-------------------
WBR, Serhio Go
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:05 pm

You are welcome! :)