Minimum Requirements for Star-wind VSAN

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

amithprasanna

Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:58 am

Hi All,

can any one explain following will be enough for Hyper V Fail-over Configuration for Production Implementation

1. Star-wind Free SAN
2. Two Network Adapters
3. Gigabit Switch with 1Gbps Throughput

Currently what is happening was if I shutdown one Node ,fail over its not working . but if I manually down cluster service or Test failure using Cluster Manager i can see its working , So i want to figured out where is the root cause. this cluster is running on Work group.

Thanks & Regards,

Amith Prasanna
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:39 pm

Hyper-V offers HA, but not Fault Tolerance like VMware does.
With the above in view, with Hyper-V if one of the cluster nodes experiences a hard shutdown, another node will bring up all VMs of the failed one in case of enough resources available. If that shutdown is planned, you will see smooth live migration instead.
amithprasanna

Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Boris (staff) wrote:Hyper-V offers HA, but not Fault Tolerance like VMware does.
With the above in view, with Hyper-V if one of the cluster nodes experiences a hard shutdown, another node will bring up all VMs of the failed one in case of enough resources available. If that shutdown is planned, you will see smooth live migration instead.
but in my case its on work-group cluster , As I heard Live migration is not supported in Work Group Cluster.
is that the reason when I shutdown one of nodes , it wont bring online my VM on other node .
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:07 pm

It may be so. This highly depends on how Microsoft behaves. In your case StarWind continues serving HA storage even in case of failures of one server.
I would still recommend you configuring a domain and create your cluster from scratch, for you to benefit from Live Migration.
amithprasanna

Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:54 am

Boris (staff) wrote:It may be so. This highly depends on how Microsoft behaves. In your case StarWind continues serving HA storage even in case of failures of one server.
I would still recommend you configuring a domain and create your cluster from scratch, for you to benefit from Live Migration.
Hi Boris,

Finally I've able to test following Scenarios and its working without issue

1. From Fail over Cluster Manager I've Stop Cluster Service - it did changed to Other node
2. I've Restarted Owner node and VM was shifted to Other Node
3. I've shut Down one Node VM was Shifted to other Server

So what if one node Power Off suddenly , that's what I need to confirm , will it work in same way ?
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:41 pm

So what if one node Power Off suddenly , that's what I need to confirm , will it work in same way ?
No, with this scenario VMs most probably fail and then try to start on another node after quick migration from the failed node.