Hyper V fail over with Starwind VSAN Free

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

amithprasanna

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:40 am

Hi all,

I've managed to configure 2 node Fail-over cluster on Windows Server 2016 , but without domain .behalf of DNS I've added DNS Suffix and added Host Records on each server.
there were only 2 NIC s , so 2 NIC assigned as NIC1 for Heart Beat and other one NIC2 for Synchronization.

But I'm having issues like below,

When I've down Cluster service only from Cluster manager its working but if i shutdown or when I'm remove both of Cables it doesn't work and I cant see Hyper V VM in either server.
then when I go to Star-wind management console and then i can see my CSV with yellow Exclamation mark , when I select Mark as Synchronized then it will perform full syny then after that its working fine .

is that limitation of Free version or am I missing some thing , Do I need Seperate Network switch for Heart Beat ?

thanks ,

AP
Boris (staff)
Staff

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm

1. Enable Heartbeat on the management interface, too. This will prevent the unsynchronized state of the disks when trying to simulate the dual port card failure. One node will still stay synchronized.
2. With no domain configured, you will not be able to live migrate your VMs between the nodes.
Neither of the above has got anything to do with the version of StarWind VSAN, i.e. it is the same for free and commercial one.
amithprasanna

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:20 am

Boris,
Thanks for your quick reply.
will fail over work without Live Migration or is it mandatory to configure with Fail over with Live Migration ?

Thanks & Regards,

Amith Prasanna
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:04 pm

Quick Migration works with no domain configured. During Quick Migration your VMs will be powered off, migrated and then powered on again.
On the contrary, Live Migration requires a domain configured, as it is dependent on it.
Feel free to choose the type of failover you would prefer.