Add Device is greyed out.

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Symo

Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:06 am

Just tried installing on Windows Server 2019. Two node test lab setup. After following the install instructions I get to the point where I'm supposed to Add Device, but these options are greyed out.
Is there any issues with using this with 2019 yet? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you,
Jon
Boris (staff)
Staff

Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:10 am

You are most likely using the free license. From the latest build on, it only works in read-only mode (i.e. for monitoring) from day 0. You need to add devices using PowerShell via StarWindX.

Edited: changed "trial" to "free".
Last edited by Boris (staff) on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Symo

Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:32 am

Would that be the case if I installed the "Free" version with my license.
When I check, it says its licensed to me, for use on 3 nodes.

I'm sorry I'm pretty knew to the software, so not sure if I'm differentiating between the "trial" and "free" versions correctly.

Thank you,
Jon
Boris (staff)
Staff

Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:08 am

Sorry, I was going to write "free" instead of having finally written "trial". It is the free license limitation you have highlighted. It allows you to use the StarWind Management Console as a read-only application to monitor the status of your StarWind environment, but all operations are required to be performed using StarWindX, i.e. PowerShell.
raphaf2001

Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:09 am

No company is required to give away software for free, and I am very thankful for the amount of functionality that Starwinds provides as is, but, may I suggest that your documentation, and most importantly the "free" version documentation clearly indicates what can and what cannot be accomplished with the "free version" (A.K.A. crippled)? I wasted a couple of days trying to figure out what I had done wrong only to find these threads explaining that the functionality is restricted in the "free version", which, if I remember correctly, when I downloaded, indicated that it was a "fully functional version", which it obviously is not. Just my two cents guys. Thanks for reading. Raphael
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Please drop me a line (I've PM-ed you as well) and I think we'll end up with some sort of a deal :)
raphaf2001 wrote:No company is required to give away software for free, and I am very thankful for the amount of functionality that Starwinds provides as is, but, may I suggest that your documentation, and most importantly the "free" version documentation clearly indicates what can and what cannot be accomplished with the "free version" (A.K.A. crippled)? I wasted a couple of days trying to figure out what I had done wrong only to find these threads explaining that the functionality is restricted in the "free version", which, if I remember correctly, when I downloaded, indicated that it was a "fully functional version", which it obviously is not. Just my two cents guys. Thanks for reading. Raphael
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

piyvish

Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:55 am

I'm also having same issue , disk options are greyed out. Could you pls help.
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:41 am

Welcome to StarWind Forum. Having a screenshot will be much appreciated.
You can try creating the HA device with the script at C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\StarWindX\Samples\powershell as described here https://forums.starwindsoftware.com/vie ... p+3#p31505.
piyvish

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:56 pm

Please find the attached.
Attachments
starwind.JPG
starwind.JPG (44.42 KiB) Viewed 5090 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:15 pm

The server that you have selected is disconnected. Double-click to connect and try again, or try selecting the blue server above.
piyvish

Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:10 pm

Thanks, I have tried again. Please find the attachment.
Attachments
starwind2.JPG
starwind2.JPG (68.91 KiB) Viewed 5084 times
yaroslav (staff)
Staff

Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:24 am

Hi,

That's because of free license that you have. You need trial, NFR or Commercial license to access the GUI.
Press OK. In Free bersion GUI is for monitoring only. You can create the HA device with the scipt as I mentioned it earlier.