Starwind with VMWare - How many Datastores

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

KPS

Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:08 am

Hi!

I have set up a 2-node-full-flash Starwind-Cluster with 4TB of usable storage (thick-provisioned).

I want to use it for my VMWare 6.7 Datastores.

What is the best version to use it? Should I export one big LUN (which would be the easiest to handle), or do I need to use multiple, small LUNs?

Thank you for your help!

KPS
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:44 am

You can follow this guide.
In VMware scenario, you can have even one datastore for your VMs and it will be mirrored by StarWind as well. But in case of using vSphere HA, the following message will arise: "The number of vSphere HA heartbeat datastores for this host is 1, which is less than required: 2". That means that you do not have redundancy on datastore heartbeat level and there is a need to create another datastore. vSphere HA uses datastore heartbeat to check the liveliness of a host if it cannot be reached over the management network.
KPS

Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Oleg!

Thank you for your answer. I am already using Starwind the with VMWare as described in your manual.

I just read some texts aber "how many VMs per Datastore" because each Datastore has a limited queue-performance.

Did you ever see that problem with Starwind and VMWare, if only ONE big datastore is used?

Regards
Boris (staff)
Staff

Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:43 am

From the point of view of StarWind VSAN, there are no limitations for the use of one datastore in your case. At this point we are not aware of anything that would prevent you from using one big datastore except for the reason outlined by my colleague Oleg earlier.