Managing StarWind VSA Free

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

wallewek

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:05 am

I'm using StarWind VSA Free in a non-commercial environment, so I cannot afford the GUI license, much as I would like to. It's been a while since I looked here, so I'm wondering...

Has much changed in the 6 to 12 months on VSA Free management? Has there been any new way to get the GUI at low cost or free?

Alternatively, has much been done to make the script-based administration more complete? I've contributed a bit of scripting I did myself, but last I checked, it seemed there was a major amount of documentation missing on the various API calls one could use with powershell, let alone functional scripts.

The theory was that one could do anything with scripting that one could do with the GUI, and I'm sure that's true -- in theory. But without the scripts and documentation, in practice, well, not so much. At least that's how it seemed to me.
------------------------
"In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice they're not." -- Yogi Berra
Sekkmer

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Well, I think you can do a lot of thing with those scripts but there are some things when you just have to do some work around, Howevere I do not use these scripts because for me writing a small GUI in C# was a bit more simple than always do the scripts manually, I made one part of my code public which is an extension for StarWindX.dll containing a lot of undocumented properties which can only be accessed by GetPropertyValue() function and other unscripted but still doable things like mounting a snapshot or editing an interface of a HADevice.

If you have a specific question feel free to ask it I hopefully can answer it.

Or if you are interested in my extension here is a link:
https://github.com/Sekkmer/StarWindXExtLib
Boris (staff)
Staff

Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:02 pm

wallewek,

We are working on adding extended functionality to StarWindX, and I am sure some has been added since you checked it for the last time. Unfortunately, I do not have any information regarding the build you checked and thus cannot tell you for sure of the things introduced since then.

Sekkmer,

We do appreciate your assistance to the community. Hope your library will be useful for the users.