vSan Power Outage Issue

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

cmm-uk

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:05 am

Hi all,

I've been using StarWind vSan free edition for a short while, but seem to have hit an issue. Our UPS had a hiccup and cut power to the two servers connected to it. Those two servers each run a copy of vSan, sharing a 5tb HA image. After powering them back up, I found that the iSCSI connections no longer establish for the 5tb VM (only the small 5GB witness volumes). I ran the powershell scripts to assess the status, and it appears that the 5tb volume isn't synced - so I ran the SyncHADevice script.

It's now repeatedly printing "Synchronizing: 0%" and has done so for the last 40 or so minutes, and I still can't establish iSCSI connections. Is this normal?

Thanks!
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:54 am

Hi cmm-uk.
First of all, please check if you marked as synchronized the correct side. You can use this KB article.
Also please check ISCSI connections status for StarWind devices in the ISCSI initiator.
What StarWind events are you getting in Application and System logs?
cmm-uk

Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:43 am

Hi Oleg,

The connection status for the iSCSI initiator shows as "inactive", and trying to connect fails. I have set Node 1 as the side to synchronize to node 2 from.

Having looked at the event log, it has written a log entry that the 5tb HA Image node state had changed to synchronizing - however the powershell commands return results that don't seem to accurately reflect the status.

Is there a straightfoward powershell command that would show ongoing synchronisation status?
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:03 am

ISCSI connections should be reconnected at the same moment as you marked the device as synchronized, connections on that side you marked.
Please try to refresh and reconnect ISCSI targets.
Could you please collect and send the logs from the nodes? You can use this tool.