Confused

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

sagelike

Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:19 am

Hi there,

I'm trying to get my head around starwind. I've been running ESXi for many years, mostly as standalone with an Essentials license at one time. Fairly simple and using DAS.

I would like to keep using DAS and add in vSAN to get HA capability. I've setup 3 node test system using HP proliants running ESXi 6.5 with vCenter demo. I've installed SW's OVF as ESXi guest and am mostly confused at this point and have lots of questions.

1. If I am running SW linux management guest, do I need to install the Windows management software? I keep reading tech docs. which keep referring to requirement to setup SW on windows though they both appear to be the same.

2. I have demo key but the Load license from file field is greyed out and I can't paste into license key field. The key, if I read the swk file correctly, is very long.

3. If I have Essentials only license, will SW vSAN software get me HA capability?

4. Do I need to use SW storage vSAN boxes in addition to my 3-node setup or can I run strictly on 3-nodes with no additional hardware?

5. Should I setup my storage using HP's raid or use SW to configure RAID disks?

6. Is there a dead simple SW vSANS for Dummies help page somewhere? I am struggling with networking and storage config and need help.

I'll stop here for now.

Thanks in advance for any guidance anyone can provide.

G
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:23 am

Hi sagelike,
Since you are running trial StarWind version, could you please contact your account manager?
Our team will be happy to assist you.