Starwind VSAN Free IP Nic binding. (MotherBoard Replacement)

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Legundary

Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:10 pm

First off LOVE starwind, but im noob without the GUI.

Our Server has a bad temp sensor on it. we have to replace the mother board.

Our setup is a Single Starwind Free node.

How does Starwind use the NIC's because I know the MAC addresses will change on the boards Obviously. But when windows boots up will Starwinds just use what ever Nic was configured for or does it do it based off Mac address?

So if NIC 1 Management <-- Windows OS

NIC 2 ISCSI1 192.168.81.111

NIC 3 ISCSI 192.168.82.111

When the new board gets installed will have to re-ip or rebind anything. or most i have to worry about is the nic order in windows changes and i gotta move some cables around.

Thanks!
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:02 am

StarWind does not get bound to MAC addresses. If your NIC is replaced, you will have to reconfigure your network settings. If the NIC stays in place, no reconfiguration is required.
Legundary

Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Boris (staff) wrote:StarWind does not get bound to MAC addresses. If your NIC is replaced, you will have to reconfigure your network settings. If the NIC stays in place, no reconfiguration is required.
Boris,

Reconfigure them in Windows or re-configuring them through starwind? If Starwind how do you do this without the GUI.

My hopes are when we change the motherboard windows *should* keep the NIC configurations just the MAC will be different.

Thanks!!
Boris (staff)
Staff

Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:21 pm

You would need to make sure that you have the same settings inside Windows, not StarWind. StarWind will keep all settings as they were before.