StarPort causes BSOD under VMWare (GSX)?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Hal Angseesing

Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:43 pm

Trying to run an evaluation of StarWind (2.6.4) and StarPort (2.6.1). I have two servers running under VMWare GSX (3.1.0).

I've managed to export a read only HDD ok (as an SPTI disk) and on my client Windows XP machine I've managed to see that as a new physical SCSI disk via StarPort.

However, when I try the same on my W2K3 server running under VMWare I get a BSOD. Is this expected behaviour?

Also, I'm evaluating this technology as a means to allow a largish (1TB) disk connected to server A via NAS to be accessable via Server B as a local HDD. This will hopefully allow users to run jobs on server A or server B and run scripts on data sets on the drive and not have to chnage the data locations in the script.

Anybody used these tools in this kind of way? Any general advice?
Val (staff)

Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:59 pm

Hi,

1) Please download the recent StarPort version 2.6.5 from our site.

2) We have never tested Starport with VMWare GSX (3.1.0).
But it seems to work well under Vmware Workstation 3/4/5.

3) According to your plans to share a whole hard drive for local and remote users - please note that the disk will be accessible only for local or remote host at a moment.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Hal Angseesing

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:17 am

I'm not sure I quite understand your point three. Any hope of a bit more of an explanation?

A further complication (that I glossed over below!) is that the scripts that will refer to this mapped drive are actually invoked via a DCOM service that creates processes as the user.
Val (staff)

Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:43 am

Hal,

The StarPort version available for download from our site is actually 2.6.4 build 2005-09-25.
The web page need to be updated. Thank you for the information.
The version 2.6.5 is still in its RC state and will be available soon.

I'm not exactly understand what configuration do you planning to implement. You have a NAS server with a hard drive that will be used by a remote client, correct?

An iSCSI target connected by an initiator is visible in the system as a local drive, so it's no problem what kind of user processes uses it (interactive or script invoked with DCOM)...

You could contact me directly at support@starwind.com for more detailed discussion of your configuration.
Best regards,
Valeriy