DiskBridge - Non active for 1 drive!

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

cphillips

Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 pm

All,

I have been tinkering with Starwind and setup a set of 5 SSD's (1Tb each) for some storage.

I then set up a datastore in ESX using these datastores - I increased the datastore by adding the extents to it so it comprised of 5x1Tb SSD's.

This evening, I turned the machine off to install some additional power connectors and further SSDs. I then turned it back on and things weren't right.

I was seeing similar to this:Image

I then shut the server down and checked and one of the power connectors wasn't seated right (I also removed the new drives I had added), upon powering it back on I now see the following:

As you can see, ssd02 is now inactive.

How can I get this back? I can no longer see any of my VM's due to the datastore saying it is 0 bytes in size! I'm fairly certain the correct drives are plugged in (they all look the same!!).

Is there anyway I can do a serial number trace from the logs? I can only find logs back from today for the Starwind software.

Thanks in advance.
cphillips

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:40 pm

I've decided to wipe the disks and recreate my storage array. Have determined there is no data on there that I need to keep!

I'll be setting up Starwind using Virtual Volumes this time, not flat disks as previously!!
Boris (staff)
Staff

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:49 pm

Feel free to post your experience with virtual disks or questions regarding those as long as you configure the setup.
cphillips

Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Thanks Boris.

First question - my disk setup will be 10 x 1Tb SSD's. As my main storage will be SSD, is it worth setting up any caching (I could use one or two of the 10 SSD's) in front of the main storage arrays?

Not sure if putting SSD in front of SSD will have any effect!?
Oleg(staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Yes, you are right, there is no effect and no need on SSD cache in this case.