PowerShell - Add replica & extend

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Blowfish-IT

Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi,

We have upgraded to the latest version we still have a few weeks of our management console license left, but I am keen to know how to do some things via PowerShell once the console has expired.

Our two storage servers are identical with the following
C: 32GB (OS)
D: 60GB (SSD)
E: 2TB (SATA)

We have created a HAImage on the two servers which is fully replicated. It's setup is:
2GB Cache (RAM)
40GB Fast Cache (D:\)
1.8TB Normal disk (E:\)

We are now building a third server and would create the same disk layout as above. We would like to add this server as a third replica, could you give me some assistance on how via PowerShell to add this server as a third replica?

Also once we have our three replicating nodes we may be looking to extend our SSD (D:) and SATA (E:) disks. Could you provide any assistance how we can increase the Fast Cache and normal disk sizes? Would this be done via PowerShell or editing the config file in each server independently?

Many Thanks in advance

Kind Regards,
Rob
Ivan (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 pm

Hello Rob,
We are now building a third server and would create the same disk layout as above. We would like to add this server as a third replica, could you give me some assistance on how via PowerShell to add this server as a third replica?
Unfortunately, right now we do not have any powershell script to create the third node replica from existing 2 node HA. For now you can create the third node replica only in a GUI.
Also once we have our three replicating nodes we may be looking to extend our SSD (D:) and SATA (E:) disks. Could you provide any assistance how we can increase the Fast Cache and normal disk sizes? Would this be done via PowerShell or editing the config file in each server independently?
To extend the HAImage size you can use ExtendDevice.ps1 script which is located here: C:\Program Files\StarWind Software\StarWind\StarWindX\Samples\powershell. You need to specify the HAImage number and MB to extend. Below is an example:

Code: Select all

try
{
    #
    # Device name 
    #
    $deviceName = "HAImage1"
    $sizeToExtendInMB = "10240" # The amount of disk space (in MB) you want to add to the virtual disk
To extend the fast (flash) cache size you can use our KB article: https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... dance/661/

Thank you.
Blowfish-IT

Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:19 am

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.
Can you confirm if after the 30 days the management console expires it can be re-activated if the functionality is only available in the management console.

I am a little concerned that once my 30 days expire I am going to be considerably limited in the actual functionality/support of the SAN???
In the sales information it states that the free version is a fully functioning SAN but it seems that the limited license of the management console is going to seriously impair our actual use?
It just seems strange you are forcing to use the powershell commandlets after 30 days but is seems, and from reading some other posts, there is still some further development required before all functionality in the management console will be achievable in powershell.

What are our options in the meantime?

Can you also confirm if the management Console could be purchased as a separate license to restore the missing functionality?

Many Thanks,
Rob Charlton
Ivan (staff)
Staff

Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:19 pm

Hello Rob,
Can you confirm if after the 30 days the management console expires it can be re-activated if the functionality is only available in the management console.
It can be re-activated with commercial license key.
I am a little concerned that once my 30 days expire I am going to be considerably limited in the actual functionality/support of the SAN???
In the sales information it states that the free version is a fully functioning SAN but it seems that the limited license of the management console is going to seriously impair our actual use?
It just seems strange you are forcing to use the powershell commandlets after 30 days but is seems, and from reading some other posts, there is still some further development required before all functionality in the management console will be achievable in powershell.

We are working on adding the new powershell scripts to achieve the fully functional StarWindX as well as Management console. As I said in my previous message the required scripts are not ready yet.
What are our options in the meantime?
You can request the trial license key to create the 3-way replica via GUI once the third node ready or obtain the commercial license.
Can you also confirm if the management Console could be purchased as a separate license to restore the missing functionality?
No, the StarWind Management console cannot be purchased as the separated product. You can discuss the licensing policy with your account manager.

Thank you.
Blowfish-IT

Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Ivan,

Following on from your last comment I have had to rebuild one of our nodes. Our trial license of the management console has now expired.
I followed your previous advice trying to re-apply a temporary trial license to the management console however it appears it knows already that a trial license was applied and won't allow me to apply a second license.

I appreciate that the Powershell scripts are still being developed however still some of the functionality is only available in the management console, if we can't re-apply a second trial key please can you advise how we can manage these features?

Many Thanks
Rob Charlton
Ivan (staff)
Staff

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Hello Rob,
Please submit a support ticket here: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/support-form and mention the link to this thread, thus I believe we could resolve license issue.
Thank you.
Blowfish-IT

Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Thanks Ivan,

Will get a call logged.
Any indications as to when the next version is due to be released with updated StarwindX & documentation?

Many Thanks
Rob Charlton
Boris (staff)
Staff

Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 am

Rob,
The new release is planned to be published by the end of this year.