How do i remove Starwind?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

shpleen

Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:46 pm

Looking in Task Manager ive seen a process called Starwind

As ive not downloaded it from your site, or do i want to use it, how can I remove it from my system? I use Alcohol 120%, but cant recall seeing anything about Starwind being bundled with it

Any help appreciated
Tim

Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:05 pm

Alcohol 120% comes with a version of StarWind, I can't remember if it's a trial or a "limited" registered version.

Try looking in "Add/Remove Programs" in the Control Panel. It should be listed as a seperate entry so you can uninstall it.

Another way is to completely uninstall Alcohol 120% and re-install without the StarWind stuff by selecting the "Expert install mode" and setting "StartWind iSCSI service" to Unavailable.

Hmm, just had another idea. The Alcohol 120% entry under "Add/Remove programs" should allow you to modify the installed components. If you select Change/Modify rather then Remove you should be able to set "StartWind iSCSI service" to Unavailable (just like above). Then just this bit will be removed leaving Alcohol intact.

Good luck!
art (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:05 am

Tim, thanks for the perfect answer. I can only add that StarWind service enables Alcohol to do the remote CD/DVD operations over the network. The StarWind itself does not do anything on your system except for that.

Artem
Last edited by art (staff) on Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Val (staff)

Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:53 am

shpleen wrote:Looking in Task Manager ive seen a process called Starwind

As ive not downloaded it from your site, or do i want to use it, how can I remove it from my system? I use Alcohol 120%, but cant recall seeing anything about Starwind being bundled with it

Any help appreciated
Hi,

As Tim and Artem already said Alcohol includes a special build of StarWind Service to share local CD/DVD drives to remote clients.

If the StarWind module is installed there is no option to uninstall it without uninstalling all the Alcohol files.

But you can uninstall it manually following these steps:
- Open the command prompt and change current directory to ...\Alcohol 120\StarWind
- type: StarWindService.exe --stop <enter>
- type: StarWindService.exe --uninstall <enter>
- After that you can completely remove the StarWind subfolder and enjoy. ;)
Best regards,
Valeriy