VSan Free Sync Issue

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

kbtech

Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi there,

OK i've install the Virtual SAN free onto 2 physical servers and configure a virtual disk on one server and then configured the partner replication on to the other server. The management console says it's is synchronised but the data isn't being transferred to the partner server i.e. the files on the source server are not being pushed to the partner disk.

I've connected both ISCSI targets on both servers and they connect ok and i can see the disk mounted as drive E on both servers.

I've looked in the events and logs and i can't see anything to suggested it's even tried to syncronise.

Not sure what i'm missing but i'm guessing there is a misconfiguration possible stopping the sync although strange starwinds is suggested it is synced.

I'm running version 8.0.0.11404.

Any idea's welcome.

Cheers
Paul
Boris (staff)
Staff

Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Paul,

This situation happens because you use NTFS file system on top of the StarWind disk. NTFS file system does not support access to data from several machines, as it is not a cluster file system. Whenever you add the device to a cluster deployed in your environment and turn it into a Cluster Shared Volume, you will be able to see the same data from all machines involved into your cluster.
Feel free to let me know if you have further questions.