Node under maintenance

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Hendrik

Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:18 am

Hi all,

Recently I had tested StarWind VSAN (Free edition) to our 2 nodes Windows Server 2012 running Failover Cluster, configured as "other server" role. The cluster working as expected when both nodes are up, but in our environment, both server will be shutdown at 11 PM and started again at 10 AM. I configure thick provisioning for virtual hard drive. When both nodes started at the same time (10 AM), then the cluster will be working just fine, even when 1 of the node is down during that time. But if I only start 1 node next morning, the cluster will not working because StarWind virtual drive will wait for partner to showed up for synchronization, so it block iscsi target. in this case, I had to manually do "Marked as synchronized" to virtual hard drive in order to "open" iscsi target. So now 1 node server will form the cluster using node and disk majority quorum, until I shut it down at night. In next morning, when I started that server (1 node), it will have same symptom as yesterday, where I must manually do "Marked as synchronized".

My questions is :

Is there a way to make this "marked as synchronized" permanent on working node, until the other node repaired and join the cluster again. I know that I can remove partner replication to achieve this, but is there another way ?

Thanks a lot,

Hendrik
Ivan (staff)
Staff

Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:47 pm

Hello Hendrik,
Thanks for your interest in StarWind solution.
This is default StarWind service behaivor for HA. Since the partner device is not available StarWind service will not marks as synchronized to avoid any data loss until HB connection will be established.
Hendrik

Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:19 am

Dear Ivan,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Hendrik
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:30 pm

Please ping me off-line, we're bringing in specially crafted "Maintenance Mode" with the next update, so you might want to try preview / beta version and contribute your feedback on how you think it should work. No guarantee but... we'll listen :)
Hendrik wrote:Dear Ivan,

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Hendrik
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software