Is there a way to find out about the drive disappearence ?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ashwin

Thu Sep 01, 2005 2:18 pm

OK. Here is the situation I am facing.

I am using Starwind (latest build) on my server. On the remote end , I am using Microsoft ISCSI intiator. I create an image file. I add that image file using (add device) in the starwind server.

Now I go to the remote computer which has ISCSI initiator and I add the respective target. Once adding ,I go to disk management and format the drive as NTFS. The drive appears fine in My computer.

Now I go to the server and I see the remote computer name added to that speciifc image file. All looks good.

I check the server starwind every day to make sure that the computer is connected to that image file.

Sometimes , I see that the computer is connected to the image file in the server but in reality the drive had disappeared in the remote computer. Since I donot have access to the remote computer , is there a way to find out in the starwind logs that the drive is infact present and good..
CJD

Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:37 pm

Not too sure about the logs, but onthe initiator, when the drive disappears, there should be some sort of nitification in the Event Log.

If you have an SNMP Manager on your network, you can install the Windows SNMP Service on the initiator computer. Doing so would send a trap message from the initiator to the SNMP server from the event log (drive disconnect event). The SNMP server can then, in turn, be configured to send an alert email to various recipients.

This scenario may be overly complex, but it can work.

More importantly, you should find out what is causing the drive to disappear in the first place.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:49 pm

Sounds like connection gets broken and MS iSCSI initiator just silently removes the drive (with reconnect pending in the background).
CJD wrote:Not too sure about the logs, but onthe initiator, when the drive disappears, there should be some sort of nitification in the Event Log.

If you have an SNMP Manager on your network, you can install the Windows SNMP Service on the initiator computer. Doing so would send a trap message from the initiator to the SNMP server from the event log (drive disconnect event). The SNMP server can then, in turn, be configured to send an alert email to various recipients.

This scenario may be overly complex, but it can work.

More importantly, you should find out what is causing the drive to disappear in the first place.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software