Windows x64 support

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:18 pm

?
CJD wrote:
anton (staff) wrote::)
I'm not sure how cool would be x64 version of StarWind but currently my AMD X2 4800 box with dual 6600GTs in SLI mode run DooM3 at least four times faster then old 3400+ with Radeon 9800 Pro. And THAT's COOL :)
:shock:
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

CJD

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:16 pm

I mean :shock: ... that's sounds like one hell of a fun way to play DOOM3!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm

The most fun is playing DOOM3 with girlfriend. You need to select - either win, or have no sex for next week or so.
CJD wrote:I mean :shock: ... that's sounds like one hell of a fun way to play DOOM3!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

CJD

Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Too Much Information!!!!!!

Just Kidding :wink: I know what it's like, I'm married!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:16 pm

I'm moving towords this action. Slowly... Very slowly :)
CJD wrote:Too Much Information!!!!!!

Just Kidding :wink: I know what it's like, I'm married!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

n00dles

Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:05 am

Hate to bring this back on topic, but is native W2K3 x64 support in the product yet? I'll hold off purchasing until it is...
Val (staff)

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:17 am

n00dles wrote:Hate to bring this back on topic, but is native W2K3 x64 support in the product yet? I'll hold off purchasing until it is...
Hi,

StarWind 3.0 works without problems on AMD64 in the Win32 compatibility mode.
Have you tried it?

Could you tell us about the issues that demand StarWind to be a native 64-bit service?
Best regards,
Valeriy
n00dles

Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:28 am

I have no doubt that it works under WOW32, I am just asking when the native 64 bit support is coming. At the start of the thread there was talk about it happening around the time that DT went native 64bit. That happened in November last year...
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:18 am

Daemon Tools is a driver so it HAVE to be 64-bit to run on 64-bit machine. StarWind has no benefits of being compiled as 64-bit binary so it's a very low priority task for us (mirror, replication, ERL2 are things people need). We don't release any time frames any more so the answer to your question would be "sorry we don't know yet". If you really need to have native 64-bit support (I have no idea why) - try to find String Bean stuff (not an easy task as these guys are out of independent business and don't have anything to download any more). From what I know both DataCore and FalconStor only have some support drivers for 64-bit Windows, not whole products. You may wish to talk to them if just having "64-bit ready" is what you really want.
n00dles wrote:I have no doubt that it works under WOW32, I am just asking when the native 64 bit support is coming. At the start of the thread there was talk about it happening around the time that DT went native 64bit. That happened in November last year...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

anton (staff)
Site Admin

Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:10 pm

OK, we've created 64-bit version for you. Would you like to take part in pre-release test of it? Please let us know by e-mail so we'd provide you with download URL. Thanks!
n00dles wrote:I have no doubt that it works under WOW32, I am just asking when the native 64 bit support is coming. At the start of the thread there was talk about it happening around the time that DT went native 64bit. That happened in November last year...
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Tim

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:34 am

OK, we've created 64-bit version for you. Would you like to take part in pre-release test of it? Please let us know by e-mail so we'd provide you with download URL. Thanks!
I have a WinXP Pro 64-bit system to test on 8)

I thought that under 64-bit all drivers also have to be native 64-bit.

That means StarPort.sys, and possibly the service StarWindService.exe, have to be 64-bit.
The actual management interface can still be 32-bit if required.
Val (staff)

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:17 pm

Tim wrote:

That means StarPort.sys, and possibly the service StarWindService.exe, have to be 64-bit.
Tim,
please check you e-mail to get the links to the preview versions.
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:09 pm

StarPort long ago was ported to x64 (it's really required), service can be 32-bit on 64-bit machine. However we've ported it to x64 some time ago (thanks to Valery-the-Turbo). GUI is 32-bit and we don't have plans to port it to 64-bit in the near future (absolutely no difference except we'll have to pass TWO branches of the same code to QA).
Tim wrote:

Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev