Multiple Adapters in the Target

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Brandon

Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:27 pm

Is it possible to run a target system with multiple interfaces connected to separate segments?

Example:
Int 1 - 192.168.0.10 - Internal Host iSCSI Network
Int 2 - 192.168.1.10 - External Host DMZ iSCSI Network

Here is what I'm seeing.
With Starwind configured to listen on 0.0.0.0 I can make connections on only one (1) interface or the other. Two systems, one in either segment, cannot make concurrent connections to the target.

I tried changing the config file to list
Interface = "192.168.0.10"
Interface = "192.168.1.10"

Same behavior as with 0.0.0.0

Any ideas or suggestions?

Brandon,
Val (staff)

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:19 am

Brandon,

The recent StarWind Service supports only one Interface rule.

If it is not set or set to '0.0.0.0' the server listens to all interfaces.
If you specify an IP, the server listens only to the interface.

We are planning to enhance the settings in the future.
But for now it is as I said.

As a workaround, if you have got an unlimited StarWind license for the server, you are able to start several instances of the service on different TCP ports and with different configuration files.
So that you will be able to set one service instance to serve external client, and the other one - internal cliens on separate network interfaces.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Brandon

Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:40 pm

Valery,

I found my problem and I feel foolish for not realizing it at the time.
The lab box I've been testing on only had a single host license loaded on it, Doh!

With the config file set to listen on 0.0.0.0 and with a license file for two hosts I can in fact connect from two separate segments through two separate interfaces on the target.

You say I can run two instances of Starwind, each bound to a different interface? How would I go about installing the second StarWind service?

Brandon
Val (staff)

Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:17 pm

Brandon wrote:Valery,

I found my problem and I feel foolish for not realizing it at the time.
The lab box I've been testing on only had a single host license loaded on it, Doh!

With the config file set to listen on 0.0.0.0 and with a license file for two hosts I can in fact connect from two separate segments through two separate interfaces on the target.

You say I can run two instances of Starwind, each bound to a different interface? How would I go about installing the second StarWind service?

Brandon
Brandon,

It's always worth looking to the service's logs if you have any problems with it. :)

There are 2 ways to start an additional instance of the server:
- As a Windows service (use --name parameter to change the service name)
- As a console application (use --console parameter)

In any case you can set a separate config file for an instance with -c<config> parameter.

Code: Select all

>StarWindService.exe --help

Usage: StarWindService.exe [service options] [port]

-?, -h, --help            - display this message.

Service options:
  --console                 - run as usual concole application.
  --install                 - installs the service as service "name".
      --login <name>  - the service account name.
      --password <password> - the service account password.
  --uninstall              - uninstalls the service "name".
  --start                   - starts the service "name".
  --stop                   - stops the service "name".
  --name <name>    - changes service name to "name".
  --display <display name>  - changes service display name to "display name".

-d                      - detach console (only if --console also used).
  -c<config>         - select configuration file. Default is 'StarWind.conf'.
  -l<0-3>               - set level of log messages.
  -lm<mask>              - set mask of log messages.
  -lp<prefix>               - set prefix for log files.
  -ld<log dir name>     - set directory for log files.
  -o                     - redirect log messages to a file.

Example:
  StarWindService.exe --console -cStarWind.conf 9260
Best regards,
Valeriy
CJD

Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:40 pm

Brandon, you can install the service as a different name and use a separate .config file. This way you will have 2 different Starwind services running, each one using a different NIC & IP, and pointing to different storage.

If you want to do this for performance reasons, and if you have the hardware that supports it, you can also team your network adapters as one logical nic. For example, if you have intel NIC's, you can use their ProSET drivers and configure them as a team, and connect to a switch that supports teaming (link aggregation).
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:29 pm

I think it's a good idea to add this stuff to FAQ or "common scenarious". If you'd write down a small article (in the way of Linux HOWTO) - I mean with screenshots and exact tasks and descriptions we'll embedd it to StarWind help and put on our web site. Of course keeping all of your personal information and references. FYI :)
CJD wrote:Brandon, you can install the service as a different name and use a separate .config file. This way you will have 2 different Starwind services running, each one using a different NIC & IP, and pointing to different storage.

If you want to do this for performance reasons, and if you have the hardware that supports it, you can also team your network adapters as one logical nic. For example, if you have intel NIC's, you can use their ProSET drivers and configure them as a team, and connect to a switch that supports teaming (link aggregation).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

CJD

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:03 pm

anton (staff) wrote:I think it's a good idea to add this stuff to FAQ or "common scenarious". If you'd write down a small article (in the way of Linux HOWTO) - I mean with screenshots and exact tasks and descriptions we'll embedd it to StarWind help and put on our web site. Of course keeping all of your personal information and references. FYI :)
CJD wrote:Brandon, you can install the service as a different name and use a separate .config file. This way you will have 2 different Starwind services running, each one using a different NIC & IP, and pointing to different storage.

We are already working on a lot of our own stuff, can't get into detail here. PM me for more info.

CJD.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:49 pm

Done!
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software