OpenVMS in a cloud architecture utilizing a VSAN for clustering...

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

twhjr

Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:32 pm

Greetings,

For the last two+ years I have been working on a POC for moving OpenVMS into a cloud infrastructure.

1. Yes, OpenVMS is still alive and new releases have been and continue to exist thanks to VMS Software Inc. [ ... ]
2. There is currently a port to x86-64 scheduled for prime time release sometime in Q1 2019
3. My POC is utilizing an AVT ware Alpha Emulator

I currently have virtual images for OpenStack, Azure and AWS. I have booted all but AWS at this time.

OpenVMS Clustering is enhanced by the utilization of SAN technology. This is something that seems to be sorely lacking in the clouds. I believe that the StarWind product may be able to shine in an OpenVMS Cluster scenario. Note that OpenVMS is a shared everything technology with a distributed lock manager embedded into the OS.

For the moment my first question is; Does anyone know of anyone that has utilized a VSAN with OpenVMS?

Have Fun,
twhjr
VMS Zealot and defender of the true faith.
"VMS, It's What I Do!" "Viva l'OpenVMS!"
“Have Laptop, Running OpenVMS, Will Travel”
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:51 pm

First of all congratulations! I really miss DEC, VMS and OpenVMS and it's great there are people who're doing a port for x64! It's a pity you didn't do it back in 2005 because in this case nobody would use Solaris, OpenBSD, Linux and Windows Serve these days.

Now bad news: we never actually tried StarWind + OpenVMS but good news: we can grant you as much of the free stuff as you need to run experiments. We'll help you with what we can.

Good luck!

P.S. I've moved the topic from "Water Cooler" here if you don't mind as it's a more appropriate place for it IMHO ;)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

twhjr

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Greetings,

Thanks, I do not really care where it gets posted as long as folks are reading... B^)

OK, I am going to start downloading and getting familiar with config aspects etc. Not sure if I want to start first in OpenStack or Azure... I guess I will know more as I try to do my first test install... B^)

Have Fun,
twhjr
twhjr

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:05 pm

Greetings,

OK, tried to download free stuff but it will not unless I answer the question I'm going to use StarWind Virtual SAN with:... None of the selections pertain to what I am intending to use the StarWind VSAN with?

Do you have a preference that I should choose?

Have Fun,
twhjr
Oles (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:43 am

There is no real difference in your case, go ahead with Hyper-V.

Please let us know if you will have any difficulties and we will be more than happy to help.

Thank you.
kevinsummerlin1

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:16 am

I agree! Unfortunately, I do not know anyone having experience with utilizing a VSAN with OpenVMS but I wanted to suggest creating a project on GitHub for more interested people like me were able to join development process and share their progress.
Michael (staff)
Staff

Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:43 pm

You are free to do it! We will appreciate it!
Brandon Hutchinson

Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:04 am

It will be hard to find someone with experience...
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:15 am

I agree. I wouldn't put anything into production which isn't a mainstream.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software