Starwind V8 3-node HA Networking

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

computerchris

Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:34 pm

We have been working with StarWind support to install a new three node system. I have read many guide and form posts about the configuration of the sync connections between nodes. However, I have not found anything providing a reason to direct connect the sync channels directly to each node. Why can this not be accomplished by using two switches (for redundancy). Looking toward adding additional nodes in the future, this design seems shortsighted. There are only so many pcie slots in a server. How could one expect to keep adding more network cards or throw out 10Gb cards and replace them with 40Gb or higher. Has anyone (StarWind chime in) use the sync network over a switch? We have tested connecting three nodes on two vlans to a switch (one for testing) and see nothing wrong at this point. By using the switch, node one can talk to node 2 and 3 and so on for each other node. This is redundant because node 1 can talk to node 3 if node 2 should go offline. Any direction and technical reason for NOT using a switch would be helpful. If using a switch, any issues?
computerchris

Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:04 pm

***Update***
I spoke with support today. They said you can use a switch and connect all nodes to sync with each other. The possible downside is slowing down the max sync speed because a single card will need to process data between two nodes and not just one. With 2 10Gb sync connections to two switches over three nodes, this is the config we are going with. This method of connecting the sync channels will allow an additional node to be added without having to re-cable the existing nodes. I understand the concept of direct connecting the nodes together, just seems to be a project down the road to undo and add additional nodes.
Dmitry (staff)
Staff

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:18 pm

We are higly recommend to connect nodes directly(for sync chanel) because switch will be single point of failure.
So in case of some problems with switch on sync chanel, your nodes can`t work correctly.
Thanks for understanding.