Cache

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Ironwolf

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:54 pm

Great Product…  :D

Question 1) In Version 6, there was a limitation on RAM Cache size of 1GB in the free version, does this still exist in version 8 for the free version?

Question 2) On the forums in the past, it was mentioned that in the future we may get some sort of cache hit ratio information, a game I play now rather than to guess, is to load FancyCache/PrimoCache on my lab system, set Starwind to zero caching to and get the rough idea of size from PrimoCache for the workload on the LUN. A nice feature about PrimoCache is you can resize it several time and monitor the changes without taking the system down/offline. Has there been any progress on this feature?

Question 3) There had been mention of a consolidated cache for all LUNs so one could say set aside the entire available Memory of the system instead of per LUN and have all LUNs use the global cache and/or the ability to change cache sizes on the fly instead of stopping the service and manual editing of a file. Has there been any progress on this feature?
Tarass (Staff)
Staff

Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Hi, Ironwolf!

1) There is no limitation on RAM cache in free version anymore. You can review current limitations over here: https://www.starwindsoftware.com/free-vs-paid

2) Cache manager feature is currently in developing. ETA is March.

3) This feature is still in planning phase. We will keep you informed.
Senior Technical Support Engineer
StarWind Software Inc.
Ironwolf

Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks for the replies and status updates.

I had read that pdf a few times and didn't really find the cache answer, but based on your reply it appears the free version has moved more inline with the paid version, which is good news for my home LAB setup :)
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Yup! Also check your PM and Inbox. I've sent something to you ;)
Ironwolf wrote:Thanks for the replies and status updates.

I had read that pdf a few times and didn't really find the cache answer, but based on your reply it appears the free version has moved more inline with the paid version, which is good news for my home LAB setup :)
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software