Some beginners questions

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

clickmaster

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Hello everyone! :)

I´m new with StarWind VirtualSAN and maybe someone could help me with some beginners questions regarding VirtualSAN with Hyper-V in a hyper-converged environment.

So I worked with the official how-to Hyper-Converged 2 Nodes Scenario - 2 Nodes with Hyper-V Cluster and did all the configuration so far.
I only have two ethernet ports/host, not the mentioned four ports in the how-to. That´s because it is a test lab.

My first question is regarding the device list of the iSCSI targets in the MS iSCSi-initiator.

I have two mirrored/replicated devices, each one created on one of the hosts and replicated to the other host.

So every host sees the following targets:

- Original device on itself
- Replica device on the partner host

I connected the original devices via the iSCSI loopback and the replica device via the seperate iSCSI initiator as described in the how-to.
When I open the iSCSI-Initiator, go to Targets -> Devices -> MPIO I see that even on the local original device there is a path to the partner host.
Does the iSCSI-Initiator see it as the same disk? So the original and the replica device is the same disk? Or why there is a remote path although the original disk is located only on the original host?

The second questions is: Do I have four or two disks bevor creating the CSVs?

After I replicated and served the devices to both Hyper-V hosts and initiate both devices on one host, the other host also sees two disks.
I then created a basic volume on each host and then the other host also showed up two disks with the same drive letters and labels.
Then I copied some files to one of the new volumes. But the files did not appear on the other host in the replica volume.

So do I have four disks or does VirtualSAN merge it to two mirrored disks?

After hat I created a cluster and added the two visible volumes to the cluster. So now I have two CSV.

I hope you understand what I mean. If not, please ask for more details if needed.

Thanks in advance!
darklight

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:48 am

Hi, Clickmasta!

Basically, that is how StarWind works. In MPIO you have all the paths listed (since for Windows it is the same device present on different targets).

And yes, you should have TWO disks. If the disk is not in cluster (NTFS instead of CSVFS), you will not be able to see the files written from the 1st node on the 2nd since NTFS is not a clustered file system and does not support such kind of operations.
Vladislav (Staff)
Staff

Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:26 pm

Many thanks darklight! :)

clickmaster, is there anything else we can help you with?