2 Node SOFS Setup Questions

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Robert4049

Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:31 pm

So i'm using a guide i found on ya'lls website and I've got a few questions..

1.) Running A Multi Nic Server, Do i run nic teaming? (I'm assuming no, and if not do i just add targets in iscsi?)

2.) If i'm not running nic teaming i'm assuming SOFS will still be able to use all of the bandwidth on the multi nic setup?

3.) On Running SOFS, should i expect full throughput of my highest bottle neck? (mine would be the LAN connection since I've only got a 3 gigabit)? (SSD's)

4.) Should the Hyper-V Servers and SOFS have their own switch and network similar to traditional San networks?

5.) When Running SOFS ontop of Starwind, does the 4096 concept still apply even though hyper-v is not directly connecting to iscsi?

6.) Should i change the MTU? (I'm assuming yes, I've tried it and the whole network stops responding)
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi Robert!
I know that you crossposted with SpiceWorks, and I you`ve got the good replies there, so I`ll just bring the answers here, so StarWind comunity members would be on the same page:
1.) iSCSI and Nica teaming are not best friends at all, at least for now. So, yeah, MPIO should work rock solidely.
2.) If only 2 network connections are available that's not 100% correct. According to the diagrams StarWind posts a bunch around here you have 1 connection for the rest of the network. One connection available only to StarWind. Finally a single network connection to a witness (no data, just watching to see if a host goes down.) I think it can be handled with 2 network connections, but it's been to long since I looked at the install/config docs that what I know about it is out of date.
3.) It's network attached storage, the bottleneck was always going to be the network. Even my last remaining array of WD Geen (version 1) drives are faster than the network. You just can't find slower throughput drives than those.
4.) No need with only 2 hosts. Just use a crossover cable and manually assign ip/subnet for both sides of the crossover.
5.)Yup, that should work
6.) Not necessarily actually - in 70-80% of configs StarWind runs succesfully without MTUs and Jumbo Frames configured.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com