target does not have enough resources to process the request

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

ashwin

Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:34 pm

Hello ,

I am using Starwinds 2.6.1 with Active license count unlimited.
I am using Microsoft ISCSI initiator version 2.0.

In starwinds , I created a new drive. In PC1 , I installed the Microsoft Initiator , selected the target and added the session successfully.

I am trying to add the same drive from another PC (lets say PC2) using Microsoft initiator and it is adding the target fine and showing me all the sessions but not allowing me to connect to the same session. It gives the error

"The target does not have enough resources to process the request"..

Is there a way I can get the same drive mapped in 2 different computers ?

Thanks
Ashwin
Val (staff)

Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:28 pm

ashwin wrote:Hello ,

I am using Starwinds 2.6.1 with Active license count unlimited.
I am using Microsoft ISCSI initiator version 2.0.

In starwinds , I created a new drive. In PC1 , I installed the Microsoft Initiator , selected the target and added the session successfully.

I am trying to add the same drive from another PC (lets say PC2) using Microsoft initiator and it is adding the target fine and showing me all the sessions but not allowing me to connect to the same session. It gives the error

"The target does not have enough resources to process the request"..

Is there a way I can get the same drive mapped in 2 different computers ?

Thanks
Ashwin
Hi Ashwin,

Are you trying to build a cluster?
(FYI it's safe to access a target from 2+ PCs only in a clustering environment or with a SAN filesystem installed on the machines)

To allow an ImageFile target to be accessed from several initiators select 'Clustered: yes' in the target creation dialog.
Best regards,
Valeriy
ashwin

Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:56 am

Valery,

The main reason I want to access the same target from 2 different PCs is to have access to the same files in that target..
I am going to try to check the box "clustering" when I create an image drive in Starwind and see if that would help solve the issue..

Is it unsafe to do that without having SAN filesystem as I am not familiar with SAN ?

Ashwin
Val (staff)

Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:34 am

ashwin wrote:Valery,

The main reason I want to access the same target from 2 different PCs is to have access to the same files in that target..
I am going to try to check the box "clustering" when I create an image drive in Starwind and see if that would help solve the issue..

Is it unsafe to do that without having SAN filesystem as I am not familiar with SAN ?

Ashwin
Ashwin,

This is a bad idea to access a single target from 2+ PCs in R/W mode without using a SAN filesystem (like DataPlow SFS) or a clustering environment (like MS clustering).
In the case the target volume's filesystem will be damaged and your data integrity will be broken.

FYI iSCSI is very different from MS Networking. So if you need a simple and stable solution to share your files between network PCs, it's better using the MS networking.

But if you need a high speed and reliable SAN solution - iSCSI is definitely a way to go.
Best regards,
Valeriy
Val (staff)

Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:48 pm

Hi gtaylor,

Only SCSI SPTI devices can support clustering as they have SCSIOPs RESERVE/RELEASE implemented inside them.
ATA discs has no such feature, so they can't be used in a clustering environment mapped with the SPTI module.

The other way to create an iSCSI device that supports clustering is to use the ImageFIle plug-in. We recommend using this way as it's much more flexible and works with any hardware disk configuration including RAIDs.
Best regards,
Valeriy