'Error occurred while adding license key file'

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

bdwr

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to get the 2 node converged install of Starwind Virtual SAN for VMware up and running. Unfortunately, I keep getting the following error after clicking 'Next' at the screen where the decrypted license information is displayed: 'Error occurred while adding license key file.'

License info:
[ ... ]

Error message:
[ ... ]

-I have pointed the installer to the unzipped .swk, as well as the .zip file containing the .swk - no difference.
-The key and installer are both located on the C:\ drive of the target machine I'm trying to install Starwind Virtual SAN on.
-I have tried running the install both in Hyper-V Server 2012 R2, as well as Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard core - both OSes give the same error. (The management console will be located on a machine external to the converged cluster).

I apologize if this issue has been covered elsewhere - I searched the forums, but nothing specific to this error showed up. Is it possible I have a bad license file?

Thanks.

-Ben
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 am

Hi!

Can you try to download the latest build from Customers page (link is below), install it and let us know if that worked?
https://www.starwindsoftware.com/customer-page
Also, can you confirm that you are installig StarWind on the VMware VM?
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
bdwr

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:33 pm

Hi Anatoly,

I just tried again, using .exe from the link you provided, and received the same error.

Yes, I am installing StarWind (or attempting to) on a VM running on top of ESXi 6.0. The VM in question is running Hyper-V Server 2012 R2. My reasoning for this OS is twofold - it has the smallest default footprint out of the server core installs, and it doesn't require any sort of license (something which might be important to a potential budget-constrained customer).

At first I thought the OS might be part of the problem, since each license seems to be tailored for specific install/use case, but I get the same error on Server 2012 R2 Standard core.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:56 pm

Can I ask you to drop me your license (av@starwind) so I could check it in my lab? Include reference to this thread into your email please.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
crawl

Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi,
same problem for me, but i'm installing on MS Windows Server 2012R2
bdwr

Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:01 am

crawl,

I managed to get around this by using the 'Free 1 node' license during install, and then using the Starwind Management Console to apply the '2 node' license to each node.
Max (staff)
Staff

Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:22 am

Hi bdwr,
Thank you for the information!
I will update our R&D and will let you know as soon as we have an update to this issue.
Max Kolomyeytsev
StarWind Software