Hyper-V cluster - one big CSV or one per host?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rrbnc

Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:02 am

I have a 2-node hyperconverged Hyper-V/StarWind cluster. I have VMs running on both hosts. I believe StarWind V8 recommends configuring the storage as "fail over only" instead of "round robin", in order for the VM to make use of the local host's storage if possible. If this is correct, then should there be one CSV per host instead of just one big CSV shared between both hosts?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:13 pm

It's always good to have at least one CSV per physical host with or w/o StarWind. So while it's technically possible to have one big CSV "community-owned" by many-many hosts that's not the best idea.
rrbnc wrote:I have a 2-node hyperconverged Hyper-V/StarWind cluster. I have VMs running on both hosts. I believe StarWind V8 recommends configuring the storage as "fail over only" instead of "round robin", in order for the VM to make use of the local host's storage if possible. If this is correct, then should there be one CSV per host instead of just one big CSV shared between both hosts?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

rrbnc

Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks. Does it matter if the second StarWind datastore is under the same iSCSI target, or should it be separate? For example, right now I have Servers > HV1 > Storage1 > HAImage2. Should the new datastore be a second device under Storage1, or should there be a new Servers > HV1 > Storage2 > HAImage3 ?
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:47 am

Actually there is no difference from Starwind stand point
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
barrysmoke

Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:29 pm

planning for HA in the event of a node failure, it makes more sense to split a node's storage in 2 seperate targets, use 1 target for vm's that will run local, and the other target to replicate another node's vm's. then if one node fails, the remaining nodes that received the replication target, can take over the failed node's vm's.
you also get speed acceleration from a hyper-v node running vm's on a local target.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Agree, but that depends on the environment. For small deployments (<1TB) that doesn`t make significant difference, while adding complicity to the configuration.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com