Recovery of corrupt image files

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Wed May 11, 2005 3:08 pm

Is it possible to recover corrupted image files? If so how or can you point me in the right direction. Starwind and the Initiators can use the image files but when windows trys to mount them, it says the harddisk is corrupt and to run chkdsk on it but it it does not allow it to be mounted to run the chkdsk scan and can cause the machine to hang or sometimes restarts.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed May 11, 2005 4:30 pm

What did you do to get corruped images?
Anonymous wrote:Is it possible to recover corrupted image files? If so how or can you point me in the right direction. Starwind and the Initiators can use the image files but when windows trys to mount them, it says the harddisk is corrupt and to run chkdsk on it but it it does not allow it to be mounted to run the chkdsk scan and can cause the machine to hang or sometimes restarts.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Wed May 11, 2005 4:45 pm

A restart of the the server hosting starwind was done... there was errors on the raid array and it rebuilt itself on the startup... after that point I was receiving the error when mounting the drives. I was able to get 4 out of the 5 image files working but of course the 5th fails everytime. The corrupt drive is the only one I care about because I dont have backup of it (was in process of setting it up).
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Wed May 11, 2005 4:57 pm

Oh, so it was not our software fault, correct? :)

We'll try to pick up some software title which can fix iSCSI volumes. Hold on...
Anonymous wrote:A restart of the the server hosting starwind was done... there was errors on the raid array and it rebuilt itself on the startup... after that point I was receiving the error when mounting the drives. I was able to get 4 out of the 5 image files working but of course the 5th fails everytime. The corrupt drive is the only one I care about because I dont have backup of it (was in process of setting it up).
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Wed May 11, 2005 5:04 pm

Yeah I am sure it was not your fault, I just figured you may be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks for your time.
Val (staff)

Thu May 12, 2005 1:47 pm

Hi,

You can use any repairing software that works with usual hard drives to fix the corrupted logical structure of an ImageFile.
Just mount the ImageFile with your iSCSI initiator and use a disk tool (like chkdsk) to repair it.

just my 2 cents.
Best regards,
Valeriy