Starwind Console

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Thu May 05, 2005 4:06 pm

A couple of feature requests.
Could a field be added to the target devices for a descriptor. Something like [Target name] [Type] [Description]

Could the ability to add/remove the Asyncmode and Clustered flags from an existing image be added? I noticed in 2.6.1 you can now designate the asyncmode and cluster settings from the console when you add an image but you cannot remove the settings later on. Like wise if I created a target image but later want to make it clusterable I would like to have the feature from the console rather than editing the config file. I don't mind editing the config file but it would be nice to have a way to reparse the config file without having to resort to restarting the service.

Thanks
Brandon,
Val (staff)

Thu May 05, 2005 8:57 pm

Anonymous wrote:A couple of feature requests.
Could a field be added to the target devices for a descriptor. Something like [Target name] [Type] [Description]

Could the ability to add/remove the Asyncmode and Clustered flags from an existing image be added? I noticed in 2.6.1 you can now designate the asyncmode and cluster settings from the console when you add an image but you cannot remove the settings later on. Like wise if I created a target image but later want to make it clusterable I would like to have the feature from the console rather than editing the config file. I don't mind editing the config file but it would be nice to have a way to reparse the config file without having to resort to restarting the service.

Thanks
Brandon,
Hi Brandon,

Thank you for the suggestion.
We'll implement the feature in one of the next StarWind releases.

For now you can work around the issue by removing the old device record and adding a new one with corrected parameters.
But this is possible only if the device is not used by a remote initiator at the moment.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Fri May 06, 2005 7:55 pm

Valery,

Fantastic! Thank you for being so receptive to feature requests. Fantastic product.

Are there plans in the near future to add features like snapshots, or real-time replication to another target? It would be very useful to be able to setup a second (mirror) target as a means for failover. Should the main target burn up, die, etc. just re-point your servers to the mirror target and continue with business as usual.

How about SNMP monitoring of image/disk usage (rather than monitoring individual servers we could just monitor images), transfer statistics, logging to event viewer when initiators connect/disconnect, etc..

I'm afraid this thread has turned into a feature request thread. :)

Thanks,
Brandon
Val (staff)

Fri May 06, 2005 9:24 pm

Anonymous wrote:Valery,

Fantastic! Thank you for being so receptive to feature requests. Fantastic product.

Are there plans in the near future to add features like snapshots, or real-time replication to another target? It would be very useful to be able to setup a second (mirror) target as a means for failover. Should the main target burn up, die, etc. just re-point your servers to the mirror target and continue with business as usual.

How about SNMP monitoring of image/disk usage (rather than monitoring individual servers we could just monitor images), transfer statistics, logging to event viewer when initiators connect/disconnect, etc..

I'm afraid this thread has turned into a feature request thread. :)

Thanks,
Brandon
Hi Brandon,

I'm glad you like our StarWind. :)
We're doing our best to make it better.

According to your wish list:
- Snapshots - we're working on the feature.
- Target mirroring and fail-over are already on our TODO list.
- SNMP reporting and logging to the Event Log are also included into our wish list.

Please don't hesitate to ask us about the features you need to be implemented in our products.
All feedback from our customers is valuable for us.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:22 pm

Valery:

Any timeline for when we might start seeing some of these features? I don't mean to push but I'm very excited about target mirroring if nothing else.

You guys have done a wonderful job with this software and I look forward to using your product for years to come.

Thanks guy!

Brandon,
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:53 pm

Are you registered user of the StarWind?
Anonymous wrote:Valery:

Any timeline for when we might start seeing some of these features? I don't mean to push but I'm very excited about target mirroring if nothing else.

You guys have done a wonderful job with this software and I look forward to using your product for years to come.

Thanks guy!

Brandon,
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:15 pm

Anton:

Currently I'm still using a copy of 2.4.3 at home for some very basic functions.

I'm working with several medium sized public school districts that are very excited about the prospects of using StarWind as the core of their near-future backend storage networks.

The target mirroring feature is one they are very interested in. In the short term a scheduled robocopy job might be sufficient but no where near ideal.

Brandon,
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:23 pm

Currently whole of our development resources are assigned to have something done for big OEMs. Home (freeware) and potential users have very low chances to see their features reqested and implemented in the nearest future. Until somebody who's real big would cover development expenses for them :)
Anonymous wrote:Anton:

Currently I'm still using a copy of 2.4.3 at home for some very basic functions.

I'm working with several medium sized public school districts that are very excited about the prospects of using StarWind as the core of their near-future backend storage networks.

The target mirroring feature is one they are very interested in. In the short term a scheduled robocopy job might be sufficient but no where near ideal.

Brandon,
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software