What format are IBV files converted from v6 to v8?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

robnicholson

Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:55 pm

I believe that v8 doesn't support the IBV (thin provisioned) format with the only thin-provisioned format being the LSFS based one.

So what happens to your IBV storage when you upgrade to v8?

Cheers, Rob.

PS. I may have asked this before but can't recall the answer!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:58 am

Incremental Volume Backup (IBV) is replaced with a Log-Structured File System (LSFS) in V6 -> V8 transition path.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

robnicholson

Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:34 am

Is this an instant process or does it have to go through some kind of conversion?

Cheers, Rob.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:49 pm

It`s not conversion. You just need to create the LSFS device (that is the one that replaces IBV) and move all the data from IBV to LSFS. The data moving best practices is better to doublecheck with the vendor of the application that uses StarWind, however if you are on ESX and licensed to storage motion - just use it :)
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
robnicholson

Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Ahh right so it's a data migration and not an in-place upgrade? So you therefore can't upgrade v6 to v8 on the same server?

Cheers, Rob.
Anatoly (staff)
Staff

Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:03 am

You can, and the IBV will be functional. Not fully functional, but they`ll give the ability to migrate the data.
Best regards,
Anatoly Vilchinsky
Global Engineering and Support Manager
www.starwind.com
av@starwind.com
harryorchard

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:54 pm

Ok. I was using an IBV device (version 6) with VMware (5.1) and now the storage datastore is inactive. You say IBV devices are still functional but no where have you explained (that I can find) how you migrate the data from the old IBV device to a new LSFS device? Do you have to do this inside ESXi or do you do this in Starwind management console?

I have VMs that I want to recover from the IBV device. Please can you let me know what steps I need to take to do this? VMware version ESXi 5.1

Thank you.
harryorchard

Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:23 am

Also, the table you supply regarding version comparisons shows that there is no migration required in moving from version 6 to version 8. So, I followed that table but now the IBV1 device in the Startwind mangement console says that the device is (Non-active). How do I make it active again in order for ESXi vCenter server to recognise it again? I can't migrate the data to a new datastore if I can't get vCenter (or the ESXi host) to recognise the datastore that was using the IBV1 device. Please can you provide some advice. Thank you.

The version table I'm referring to is here:

https://knowledgebase.starwindsoftware. ... d-version/
Michael (staff)
Staff

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:06 pm

Hello harryorchard,

We have checked your scenario in out test lab and were able to restore the data from IBV device on StarWind v8. I assume, in your case, it makes sense to install StarWind v6 back, mount the device there and migrate the data from it.