Interesting piece of SW

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Jardar

Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:21 pm

I've registered that there's no multihost support in the current release.
Are there any plans in the pipeline ?

I would like to be able to run a vmware based Oracle Real Application Cluster using iSCSI as shared storage. But then the multihost support must be in place :-)

btw: This is very close to what I'd call a killerapp!
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:51 pm

1) There's a multihost support in current release. You just need to enable it (please see help section about "clustering").

2) You need to register StarWind to increase number of connection it supports (freeware version support only two concurrent connections to the same volume).
Jardar wrote:I've registered that there's no multihost support in the current release.

I would like to be able to run a vmware based Oracle Real Application Cluster using iSCSI as shared storage. But then the multihost support must be in place :-)

Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Val (staff)

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:52 pm

Jardar wrote:I've registered that there's no multihost support in the current release.

Hi Jardar,

Current StarWind version does support multiple connections to ImageFile targets.
But the feature should be switched ON manually in the config file (StarWind.conf).
Open the file in a text editor, find the line where your ImageFile target is defined and add '-clustered:yes' to the end of the rule.

After restarting StarWindService the target will allow up to 256 iSCSI initiators to connect.
So you'll be able to test the clustering software.

StarWind works good in the MS clustering environment, but we have no info about compatibility with Oracle Real Application Cluster.
Please let us know about your results.

BTW We're going to release StarWind v2.6.0 including a lot of fixes and enhancements. I guees this will happen in a day or two.
We'll post a notification about this in the Forum.
Best regards,
Valeriy
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:57 pm

I believe Oracle guys were checking StarWind in RAC support and confirmed it as working. You (Jardar) can re-check :)
valery (staff) wrote:

Hi Jardar,

Current StarWind version does support multiple connections to ImageFile targets.
But the feature should be switched ON manually in the config file (StarWind.conf).
Open the file in a text editor, find the line where your ImageFile target is defined and add '-clustered:yes' to the end of the rule.

After restarting StarWindService the target will allow up to 256 iSCSI initiators to connect.
So you'll be able to test the clustering software.

StarWind works good in the MS clustering environment, but we have no info about compatibility with Oracle Real Application Cluster.
Please let us know about your results.

BTW We're going to release StarWind v2.6.0 including a lot of fixes and enhancements. I guees this will happen in a day or two.
We'll post a notification about this in the Forum.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software