Newbie needs a push start...

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

rhetoric

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:00 am

Hello all!

I am trying to set up a Starwind/Starport relationship between two computers on my wireless network, the problem is I have no idea where to begin. I read through the guide that came with the Starwind application but I really did not understand any of it.

I want to share a DVD-R drive on one computer with one other machine on the network. The machine with the drive in question has Starwind installed and the computer that I want to be the client has Starport installed, but I cannot seem to get the two machines to connect. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
rhetoric

Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:56 pm

ok.. so ive been working at it for a while and i got the server set and the client set, but when i try to connect to the Starwind target via the Starport initiator i get this: "the semaphore timeout period has expired"

is this a client side problem or is it a server side trouble? any help is appreciated.
Val (staff)

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi rhetoric,

Do you use the correct IP address for the server machine in the StarPort's "Add device" dialog?

What are the machine's OSes?
If there is a WinXP SP2, so it has its firewall activated, so that the TCP/IP poart 3260 is disabled.

If you use any firewall you need to allow TCP/IP port 3260 to accept incoming connections (on the server machine) and allow the same port for outgoing connections (on the client one).
Best regards,
Valeriy
rhetoric

Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:46 pm

thanks for the reply,

yes, the client machine is XPSP2 and the port is open, but the server machine is XPSP1 so i dont know if the port is open or not. Is there a way to check this or is there automatically no firewall in SP1?
Val (staff)

Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:52 pm

rhetoric wrote:thanks for the reply,

yes, the client machine is XPSP2 and the port is open, but the server machine is XPSP1 so i dont know if the port is open or not. Is there a way to check this or is there automatically no firewall in SP1?
Hi,

WinXP SP1 has no embedded firewall, you are right.

You could use the EtherReal (or any other network sniffer software) to examine what's happening.
Best regards,
Valeriy