Hard disk image on a dvd

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: art (staff), anton (staff), Anatoly (staff), Max (staff)

Ramon

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:07 pm

Hi,

I'm having some trouble writing a hard disk image to a dvd disc.

I'm using StarWind 2.4.3 and StarPort 2.4.4.

I have one laptop connected through a wireless card to a PC desktop. In de PC desktop I have a NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A SCSI CDRom Device.

In de laptop I'm using Acronis True Image to create a hard disk image of the laptop itself.

Well, it has been no probleem writing the image into 3 cd-r disks, it went just fine, but I could'nt do the same into 1 dvd-r disc.

Could anyone give some suggestions ?
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:48 pm

I guess your WiFi card speed is enough for CD recording but is not enough for DVD recording. Either try to set slower recording speed when recording to DVD or try different network hardware (at least 100Mbps LAN).

Also I'd recommend skip using Acronis products and switch to Paragon DriveBackup. It's nore powerful and feature rich. And Paragon uses CD/DVD recording engine licensed from Rocket Division Software so compatibility issues are either minor or virtually absent.
Ramon wrote:Hi,

I'm having some trouble writing a hard disk image to a dvd disc.

I'm using StarWind 2.4.3 and StarPort 2.4.4.

I have one laptop connected through a wireless card to a PC desktop. In de PC desktop I have a NEC DVD_RW ND-2500A SCSI CDRom Device.

In de laptop I'm using Acronis True Image to create a hard disk image of the laptop itself.

Well, it has been no probleem writing the image into 3 cd-r disks, it went just fine, but I could'nt do the same into 1 dvd-r disc.

Could anyone give some suggestions ?
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Ramon

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:04 pm

Anton, thanks for your reply,

I will try the Paragon software as you've suggested and then I'll come back to you with hopely good niews :)

Best regards.
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:12 pm

Good! However software has nothing to do with the hardware and general physics. I mean if your WiFi (11 or 22 Mbps I guess) speed is not enough for DVD recording it would not be enough in any environment :-)
Ramon wrote:Anton, thanks for your reply,

I will try the Paragon software as you've suggested and then I'll come back to you with hopely good niews :)

Best regards.
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Ramon

Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:17 pm

Dear friend

Here I am again and this time with good news !!!

By the way I'm using a D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ and your guess was right, the speed is 11Mbs

So, I downloaded the Paragon Drive Backup 6.0 (demo version) and happily I started to make the image.
I was really excited because I had already tried different software like PowerQuest, Ghost and others without any succes.

And, guest what...it did'nt work! Why? because I was unable to "Apply changes" in de demo version.

At this point I get very frustrated and I was about to pull my hair out when by chance I came across NTI DriveBackup!

Pretty nice looking program, I just clicked three buttons and the image started, WOW !

Good luck with your work and if you ever come to visit Amsterdam let me know and I'll buy you a drink !

God's bless,

Ramon
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:49 pm

1) Nice to hear you've finally managed to solve your problem! I think we should also try NTI DriveBackup. To recommend true working solution to our customers. Does NTI support "incremental backups"? Please drop me a message to anton@rocketdivision.com and I'll try to issue you with unlocked pre-production version of Paragon DriveBackup. So you'd be able to compare.

2) If I would only receive your message 8 hours earler! I've been to Amsterdam today. Even cancelled all-night-around stay there b/s a friend of mine came into car crash yesterday (we had plans to hang there before visiting CeBIT'2005). I'll be there on March 22 on the way back from Bremen and if I'll manage to create "overnight" link I'll let you know. I'd love to hang around Amsterdam. But prefer to do this not alone. And possibly with local guide :-)

Thank you!
Ramon wrote:Dear friend

Here I am again and this time with good news !!!

By the way I'm using a D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ and your guess was right, the speed is 11Mbs

So, I downloaded the Paragon Drive Backup 6.0 (demo version) and happily I started to make the image.
I was really excited because I had already tried different software like PowerQuest, Ghost and others without any succes.

And, guest what...it did'nt work! Why? because I was unable to "Apply changes" in de demo version.

At this point I get very frustrated and I was about to pull my hair out when by chance I came across NTI DriveBackup!

Pretty nice looking program, I just clicked three buttons and the image started, WOW !

Good luck with your work and if you ever come to visit Amsterdam let me know and I'll buy you a drink !

God's bless,

Ramon
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Ramon

Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:37 pm

I'm amazed!

When I was typing yesterdays message you were in Amsterdam and maybe even you passed along my street !

Cool man !

I'll be very glad to show you the city to you and your friends if you come here the 22 of March.

Does Rocket Division wins a golden IF award ? If so congratulations !!

I will now write to your personal e-mail adres and also send you a picture of me my wife and child !

See you !
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:48 pm

Yes, it's a very tiny world :-)

No, we did not get golden IF award, this was me alone who went visiting my relatives in Germany and see some business partners at CeBIT'2005 in Hannover. And I always fly thru the Amsterdam b/s there's no direct Kiev -> Bremen route. For last 10 years :-)

Good! Go ahead. I don't have wife or kid but I'd also send you something of interest :-)
Ramon wrote:I'm amazed!

When I was typing yesterdays message you were in Amsterdam and maybe even you passed along my street !

Cool man !

I'll be very glad to show you the city to you and your friends if you come here the 22 of March.

Does Rocket Division wins a golden IF award ? If so congratulations !!

I will now write to your personal e-mail adres and also send you a picture of me my wife and child !

See you !
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev