starwind and linux-iscsi ?

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

wykat

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:28 am

Hi,

Last weekend I've played a little with starwind and linux-iscsi, but I'm a little puzzled with accessing the DVD writer. iscsi-ls shows the ramdisk of starwind but not the dvd writer. The ramdisk has a valid iqn name, but what should be the name for the dvd writer ??

thanks for any help

Wykat
anton (staff)
Site Admin

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:43 am

I would recommend you trying to mount mapped DVD burner from Windows machine in a loopback before doing everything else. I guess you just did not create a device at all.
wykat wrote:Hi,

Last weekend I've played a little with starwind and linux-iscsi, but I'm a little puzzled with accessing the DVD writer. iscsi-ls shows the ramdisk of starwind but not the dvd writer. The ramdisk has a valid iqn name, but what should be the name for the dvd writer ??

thanks for any help

Wykat
Regards,
Anton Kolomyeytsev

Chief Technology Officer & Chief Architect, StarWind Software

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:14 am

Hi,

loopback (on the same Windows machine) works perfectly.

rgrds,
Wykat

Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:22 am

ps. also mounting the ramdisk and copying data to it works. (could it be that the DVD writer is locally mounted to the windows machine and therefor not available for a mount from the Linux PC ? Should check that tonight).

Wykat
Val (staff)

Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:18 am

Anonymous wrote:ps. also mounting the ramdisk and copying data to it works. (could it be that the DVD writer is locally mounted to the windows machine and therefor not available for a mount from the Linux PC ? Should check that tonight).

Wykat
Hi Wykat,

Yes, if the DVD writer is mounted locally it can not be used remotely.

StarWind Service writes to the log a lot of useful information. If there is a problem the log can help to find it.
The logs are stored to StarWind\logs directory.

Please send me the log if the problem persists.
Best regards,
Valeriy

Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:27 pm

yep, unmounted dvd drive from starport und now iscsi-ls 'sees' the drive :D

thx,
Wykat
Val (staff)

Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:33 pm

Anonymous wrote:yep, unmounted dvd drive from starport und now iscsi-ls 'sees' the drive :D

thx,
Wykat
Wykat,

I'm glad it works for you. :)
Best regards,
Valeriy