Licensing Question

Software-based VM-centric and flash-friendly VM storage + free version

Moderators: anton (staff), art (staff), Max (staff), Anatoly (staff)

Zeon

Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:00 am

Hey guys,
I've been emailing Alex Satler from Starwind in regards to this but haven't managed to get quite the answer I was looking for so I'll post here.

My question is around the use of both HA and non HA targets on Starwind. I'll start with a scenario, SAN1 has 16TB of disk space and SAN2 has 8TB. I have a 2TB HA license and want to run that across the 2 SANs for my critical VMs. That leaves me with 14TB spare on SAN 1 and 6TB on SAN 2. Is it possible to use the remaining space as non-HA targets for non critical files/backups etc.? Or would I have to get a 3rd SAN in that case with the first 2 only have 2TB of disk and only HA while the 3rd SAN is for archive storage?

Hope this makes sense!
Alex Satler (staff)
Staff

Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:54 pm

Hi Zeon,

I see you last email was sent to me last Saturday and a few hours later I have sent you a response.

As been said in my e-mail, your 2TB HA license allows you to use up to 2TB of storage per host. In total you may have two hosts (2TB each) between which you may set up a HA cluster.

Should you require unlimited non-HA license, in such case you have to order StarWind CDP edition license. But once again, this license would require a separate physical host, as you cannot install two different StarWind licenses on the same physical host.

Please feel free to contact me by e-mail, should you require any additional assistance. It would be my pleasure to further assist you.